We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

Chances for rates to go down on flights around Christmas? Any experience with watching rates and waiting til September? October? Dare I ask, November (early)?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,833 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

One thing I will suggest is seeing if your preferred carriers offer refunds (e-certificates) if a purchased fare goes down on your flights..........I use Yapta.com to watch my fares-both before and after purchase. The fares will fluctuate depending on loat factors, but Christmas is high season, and flights usually fill. I'd find a carrier that refunds, grab the tickets and check for fare reductions.

Midwest
Level Contributor
562 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

We usually don't book our trips until 6 weeks or so out and so don't book our airfare. We booked our hotel early for the second week of January and have been looking at airfare and it is much more than we spent last January booking 6 weeks ahead of time.

We are in the same boat as you. Don't know whether these prices will be the best and it is just a high airfare year or whether we are hitting the wrong booking time. Right now, the prices are definitely substantially higher than we ended up paying last year.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

Don't know your dates...but out of Omaha to SJD Dec 19-26...it is running $496 with taxes. Hard to beat that price.

Keep in mind that all of your flights will be a change somewhere...which means that the discount fare might be sold out to that connection point...or from that connection point. Holiday flights will be 100% full...and with oil on the commodity markets going up every day...not much chance that any airline will be in good shape to bargain much...unless their fuel contracts go into 2014.

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

Wow, who offers a $496 ticket? I haven't seen anything close!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

From California they run 5-7 hundred, unless you get them wayyyyyyyyyyy early.

6. Re: Airfare to Cabo at Christmas: worth waiting awhile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 19, 2014