We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

FYI, for those of you who fly Alaska to Cabo (like we usually do). They've posted fee changes on their website, beginning with travel purchased in October 2013.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/optional-services-fees/fee-changes.aspx?INT=AS_HOME3-1_||EG_FEECHANGE||

Copy/paste the above link into your browser. It's not "clickable" from here.

Just a heads up everyone.

Edited: 2:24 pm, July 13, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

Aha... figured out a clickable version:

alaskaair.com/content/…fee-changes.aspx

cabo
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

That's big news up here in Alaska, since we almost all fly Alaska Air. Lucky I'm a guy. I can fit 2 weeks worth of clothes in a backpack, especially if I'm going to Cabo :)

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

Well at least you can now make changes for free up to 60 days before departure. I like that part.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

No change for us either. We pack very little even with the new born. Buy diapers n stuff when we get to Cabo. The people that take a ton should pay more. I wish they checked sizes of carry ons too like they say they will but dont. Soon we will step on a scale and pay extra for being over 200 lbs ! Oh no , its gonna cost me then...you never know.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

Personally, I think that they have the baggage fees backwards -- checked bags should be free. Carry-on "suitcases" should cost you $$. I'm so tired of waiting 5 mins. per each passenger to figure how they can stuff their oversized "carry-on" suitcase into the overhead bins.

Not that any of my Cabo friends do that, LOL! :)

Edited: 4:34 pm, July 13, 2013
PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

I agree Donna....some of the "carryons" I see coming down the aisle..I wonder how they were allowed past the gate.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

Its not just the size that makes us stand in the aisle waiting...its all the people that cant read or see the way to put a bag in ! Every overhead bin on Alaska has a sticker with a picture of the wheels OUT. How hard is it ? I used to get annoyed but now i just laugh. You can't teach "stupid"...haha !

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

And remember...on that Asiana flight that crashed...the people grabbed their carry on luggage before they went down the slides to safety...holding up the people behind them!! The FAA really can't believe what they saw on the photos!!

Donna...I so agree with you...checked for free...charge by the pound for carry on!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

Still have free bags here, and the beer will be cold in Cabo!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska's fees are changing in Oct 2013

Interesting... says First Class passengers get a third checked bag for free, unless going to Mexico City. Yet every time we've traveled to Cabo in First Class, we've only been allowed 2 checked bags free. And the new rules haven't changed. I'm going to start printing out the baggage fee schedule and insisting that my third bag be free. We're always checking fish coolers and the luggage of family members who're riding in coach on the same flight so that they don't have to pay the checked bag fee. Always a way to work the system....