We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport for Minors

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Passport for Minors

Hello -

I will be flying out of Tijuana to Cabo with my two daughters that are under the age of 9. On the US Customs website it states that children under the age of 16 can cross back to the US with a birth certificate. My question is, will the Mexico airlines/security ask for any other form of ID? I'm not sure if this question should go in the Tijuana forum but I am flying to Cabo. Any help would be great!

Thank you!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport for Minors

On the Volaris website this is what it says...

ID: Be sure to bring your child identify. This can be a birth certificate or vaccination card

BUT there is also a 1 800 number on the website...I would call and ask...just to make sure...as things seem to change!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport for Minors

Ok! Great! Yes, I'll probably do that. I'm also going to try to go to the Mexican Consulate here in San Diego to obtain our travel visas ahead of time since getting them in the airport is a nightmare! I guess they would also know the answer? I hope so. Thank you!

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport for Minors

Mexico's law requires all U.S. citizens who travel more than 12 miles into Mexico or stay in the country for more than 72 hours to show their U.S. passport or passport card. This includes minors.

Furthermore, in order to travel to Cabo, you and your children will need a tourist card (FMM). You will need to get that in Tijuana and you must show a U.S. passport to get the FMM.

You did not mention your travel plans, but if the children's father is not accompanying you, you will also need a notarized consent letter from the non-travelling parent giving his consent for the children to leave the US.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport for Minors

This link takes you to a page with a sample letter if you are traveling without the children's other parent:

locogringo.com/research/immigration3.html

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport for Minors

I can't use their birth certificate and possibly a photo ID for the travel visa? I'm trying to avoid the huge cost! And time constraints. Also, who will be asking me for the notarized letter? Is this for my benefit as in so their father doesn't claim that I'm kidnapping?

Thank you Pstreet1 for the sample letter!

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport for Minors

It is to help prevent international parental kidnappings yes but its not for your benefit, its required and if asked to show it at the airport and don't have it you will be denied boarding.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
703 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport for Minors

Dolce, I believe that you can use a birth certificate, as you are NOT traveling by air internationally. I believe that if you are traveling via the walking bridge from the TJ Airport you do not need a passport but you do need a birth certificate and if you had a picture Id for them of some sort, school id or something with their picture that would be helpful. If it were me.....I would get the passport anyway as then you could travel by air from San Diego in the future on Spirit which is near the same cost as the mexican airline you are traveling on.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport for Minors

I see. Hopefully I can get him to meet me at a notary! He is aware of the trip and has already given permission but it's difficult to get him to do much more. Thanks!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport for Minors

Cabo_cpl, true. I know that, that is the case for US customs. I just don't know what the requirements for a domestic flight within Mexico is. I have been wanting to get passports for them but that is another thing that I would have to do with their father and it's a bit difficult to have him cooperate when he has to physically do something. Let alone, possibly contribute financially!! OT, I know. I'm just trying to take them on vacation the easiest, most cost effcient, but also not putting them at any risk. Thank you!

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
703 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport for Minors

We have friends that flew out of Mexico last year and from TJ to SJD no passport required, I would assume the same for minors