We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Cabos San Lucas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Cabos San Lucas

First off I want to say hello to everyone here. This is my first post so I wish to ask some questions about driving to Cabo San Lucas since that will be my way of getting there.

I just want to ask the people that have made this trek if there is anything in particular I have to watch out for. I understand the usual high alert and street smarts we have to use while driving in Mexico but I was wondering if there is any major detours recommended or areas to avoid at all costs. I will be leaving from Los Angeles with my fiance in a mid-size sedan and I plan to stop at San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Loreto, then finally arriving at Cabo. I am planning to make this a road trip that is on my bucket list so I will be in the peninsula for almost a full three weeks. Also, any recommended things to do at my stops before arriving at Cabo? I plan to dedicate at least one day to each of them going to Cabo and going back from Cabo.

How is the drive? I have talked to about five people that have done the drive and they said it is a drive of a lifetime. The furthest south I have driven is Puerto Nuevo, which is only about 26 miles (42 km) south of the boarder. I have seen a lot of the driving via street view using Google Maps but I would love some input from you brave and adventurous souls that have done the drive.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
san diego
6 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

The Trans pensular highway down the west coast Mex 1 is in good condition. The toll road takes you to Ensenada from there you need to use the free road. The worst part of the road is between North and South Baja.

You will need to show your tourist visa (FMT) when you cross the 28th Parallel which seperates North and South Baja.

A detailed road log for North Baja exists here www.instant-mex-auto-insur.com/baja-log/ and may give you some ideas of where you may want to stop and visit.

The tourist visas are available at the border crossing from the US into Baja. They are the same price for more than 7 days as they are for 6 months, (most people get a 6 month visa) 280 pesos about $23.00.

You will also need Mexican Insurance for your car, (I get my insurance from Instant Mexico Auto Insurance).

Enjoy your trip.

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Thank you MinisteriosDeSus for the info.

:D

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Thank you for inviting us to view your photos...they are really amazing!! Thanks for the fun!!

Enjoy your trip...you are planning well, and it sounds just so fun!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

It's such a great adventure!!! Just after Mulege is Bahia Concepcion. There are a ton of gorgeous beaches with grass huts to rent for about $5/night. We stopped there on a whim and ended up staying for 3 nights. Playa Los Cocos specifically, but they're all beautiful!

I got the 'Mexico's Baja California' guidebook from AAA and it was a lifesaver. They update it often so the hotel/restaurant/gas info is always current. Detailed maps to/from everywhere, tons of history/photos, side-trip adventures, etc etc

Have fun and be safe:).

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Thanks for the kind words TravelJudy; glad you enjoyed my pics.

Luvsthesun28, thanks for the suggestion; now I gotta check out Bahia Concepcion out and see what we can do there.

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
886 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

I would suggest trying to limit the amount of driving after dark. The lack of shoulders and cows in the road can be a bit**.

Try to camp on the Bahia Concepion. Beautiful.

I would second the Walt Peterson book.

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

jhardinseattle , no doubt driving at night is a no no for me; I will only drive a tnight if absolutely necessary. I am planning my stops to make sure I am on the road to my hotel with at least 2 hours of sunlight.

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Got back on the 19th. It was quite an awesome trip. One thing I learned on this trip: I need an off road capable vehicle. There are so many cool side routes I wish to explore but this is difficult on a Honda Civic Hybrid, lol. So I will be saving up for a Toyota FJ. PLan on doing the drive to Cabo every year; it's just too beautiful to only do once. Plus, there is so much to explore, so much wilderness. My favorite parts of the trip include snorkeling in Isla Coronados off of Loreto and riding quad bikes off Highway 19 on the western shore of the peninsula before hitting Todos Santos. And of course, the Arch was lovely. Gotta go back though, gotta explore and take more photos. Hopefully I can make the trip in Jan/Feb to go do whale watching in Guerrero Negro.

Thanks to everyone here that helped me with advice, tips, suggestions, etc.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Glad you had a great time on the driving trip. Is there somewhere on the net where you posted some of your pictures? Bet lots of people would like to see some of them. Hope you will post some. : - )

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

So glad your trip was so wonderful! Next time-stop at Los Barriles at the Hotel Los Pescadores and visit with Patti-the owner. She has been driving the Baja for years! (even by herself, and she used to tow her Boston Whaler down! ;) It is a trip I still would love to be able to make some day!