We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Cabos San Lucas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Cabos San Lucas

First off I want to say hello to everyone here. This is my first post so I wish to ask some questions about driving to Cabo San Lucas since that will be my way of getting there.

I just want to ask the people that have made this trek if there is anything in particular I have to watch out for. I understand the usual high alert and street smarts we have to use while driving in Mexico but I was wondering if there is any major detours recommended or areas to avoid at all costs. I will be leaving from Los Angeles with my fiance in a mid-size sedan and I plan to stop at San Quintin, Guerrero Negro, Loreto, then finally arriving at Cabo. I am planning to make this a road trip that is on my bucket list so I will be in the peninsula for almost a full three weeks. Also, any recommended things to do at my stops before arriving at Cabo? I plan to dedicate at least one day to each of them going to Cabo and going back from Cabo.

How is the drive? I have talked to about five people that have done the drive and they said it is a drive of a lifetime. The furthest south I have driven is Puerto Nuevo, which is only about 26 miles (42 km) south of the boarder. I have seen a lot of the driving via street view using Google Maps but I would love some input from you brave and adventurous souls that have done the drive.

:)

livermore, ca
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

I've done the drive a couple of times. Never had a problem. I concur with your scheduled stops since I recommend taking your time. Get gas when you can and don't wait until you're close to empty.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Look at bajanomad.com. A lot of info about traffic and road conditions. San Quintin to GN is only about a 4 hour drive, so if you are trying to see a lot, that's great. but certainly not a full days drive. In San Quintin we love Jardines. Nice and quite hotel. Are you looking to camp or stay at hotels?

My only advice - drive safe and take your time

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Thanks for the prompt reply caboroger. Yeah, I want to really take advantage of a rather large tax return so I will be taking my sweet time while over there. I am treating it like a "pre" honeymoon for my fiance and I. I will definitely fill the gas tank when around half tank as well as carry around a 2-gallon tank for emergencies. I will also be sure to give my car all the needed maintenance before doing the trip.

:D

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Hi CaboCarl! Yeah, I have partitioned my trek to those stops in an effort to absorb as much Baja as possible, lol. Thanks for that alternate website; it seems I will be there and here with much frequency until my dates arrive to leave. :D

We will be staying at hotels. Do you have any other recommendations for GN and Loreto in terms of hotels? I have looking around and have my eyes set on a few but will definitely scope out with hawk-eyes any recommendations you and other members here might have.

I will definitely try my hardest to be safe as well as take my time. :)

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

I always figure 50 mph on highway 1 so the 250 miles between San Quintin to Guerrero Negro would be more like 5+ hours including stops for photo ops, lunch and natures call...there are many books describing must sees for Baja....hope this helps

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

carico, is 50 mph for the most part the speed limit on Highway 1? I know for the most part it is 100 kph (62 mph) in the Rosarito/Tijuana area.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Some stretches are straight and flat where I have done 80mph and some are mountainous with many curves where 25mph is tops not counting getting behind 18 wheelers (slow) or RV caravans, plus lately there seem to be more speed traps, federal, agriculture and military checkpoints...in SQ I stay at Hotel Chavez and in GN I stay at the Cowboy Hotel....I hope you take the time to visit La Paz ....

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

I doubt I'll ever go as fast as 80 over there but it is good to know that there are some stretches that allow such speeds. Yeah, I drive a lot on roads that you get stuck behind slow 18 wheelers and/or RVs so I will be expecting that on this trip. I'll definitely check out those hotels you mentioned and I do have plans to visit La Paz; what is it you recommend doing while in La Paz?

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

The beaches north of town are beautiful, the road is paved now all the way to Tecolote Beach, just before is Balandra Beach...walking along the malecon in the evening, and if too hot during the day visit the air conditioned Museum ...

Ridgecrest...
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Cabos San Lucas

Awesome awesome; we are definintely big fans of museums so this might be a must on our way to or from Cabo.

I just saw via Google Maps how beautiful Balandra Beach and Tecolote Beach are; I just might stay a day or two in La Paz.

:D