We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

I've read a number of forum postings for the Dreams resort in Cabo that suggest tipping your maid as well as other staff while at the resort. I plan to do that; however, need some guidance as to how much is considered a "good" tip for the maid.....a "good" tip for the bartender......cooks.......waiters/waitresses, etc....... I'm just looking for some suggestions so I can plan accordingly.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

A buck or two each day for the maid (leave daily in case you don't have the same maid on check out day). The same pretty much goes for the bartenders, waitstaff, etc. Another good idea is to leave little trinkets for the maid. Samples sizes of lipsticks, perfume, etc. Or gifts for the little ones, crayons, dollar store toys, etc. If you do a search on the forum you'll find how to write a note in Spanish that these are for the maid.

Take along 50-100 singles for the tipping. You'll need them at the airport as well. Also comes in handy when shopping and the vendors won't have to break the big bills and give you change in pesos.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

Here are the phrases that will help if you want to leave a note:

Posted on: 1:11 pm, October 19, 2005 Report inappropriate post

I want to thank everyone for their help with this. Only 3 more days until we go. So to summarize I belive this is what I will have on the envelope. I have added the changes as people have replied.

Please let me know if this is correct.

Solamente para la camaristas: (Only for the hotel maid.)

Solamente para la persona responsable de llenar el refrigerador: (Only for the person responsible for filling the refrigerator.)

Deje el sobre después de quitar su propina, por favor. Quiero utilizarlo para otras propinas el resto de la semana. Gracias para su buen trabajo.

Leave the envelope after you take your tip, please. I want to use it for other tips the rest of the week. Thank you for your good work.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

My first day at the Riu last June, I wrapped a $5 around the neck of a beer bottle, and for the rest of the week, I had 12-15 beers or as much as he could cram in the fridge nice and cold waiting for us. par

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

I'm assuming that you wrapped it around an empty and put that back in the frig??? I like that idea, I'll have to try it.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

all great suggestions... we usually leave couple of dollars for the maids or as shelb said bring crayons and stuff like that...

Texas
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

Shelb, that is correct! par

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

thanks for the phrases, beats the other ones that we used with our limited knowledge lol

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,448 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

The suggested tip for housekeeping is $2/day/person....the rest is pretty much like here.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,448 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

Babel Fish is a good site for translations.........................

10. Re: Tipping maids and others at All Inclusives....need guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 16, 2009