We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to rent a car?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to rent a car?

Anyone have any good info on where to rent a car and about how much to pay for it?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
442 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to rent a car?

We rented through Thrifty-went on line through Orbitz. The price was very reasonable and when you get to thrifty (across from airport) they were very nice. We declined the insurance but did ask for the liability insurance whihc was $7/per day. No hassles! I would rent a car before you go

Long Beach, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to rent a car?

Ah, rental cars in Baja..a real interesting one. We have rented several times at the SJD airport - used just about all the companies. The prices vary and even though it is recommended to rent online BEFORE arriving, you can negotiate (if you want to spend the time) once arriving. Some problems: First, the car you think you are going to get - make and model - is often "not available" and most often you will get another one. Make sure you have your quote printed out to show the agent - I even take a print of the photo of the model I thought I was supposed to get! In most cases, getting another model, but similar sized car, is not a problem - unless you want a specialty vehicle like a SUV or truck- which we do..Many rentals in Baja are manual drive and don't have A/C..make sure you make it clear about these things. If you decline their insurance (rely on your credit card's coverage), be sure to phone your card company and tell them what you are doing (renting in Mexico) and get the limits on their coverage. Collision insurance is usually reasonable, and so is the liability that they offer - plan on spending an additional $16 or so a day - recommended..also make sure that you have the phone numbers of the adjusters, and that there is a spanish speaker made available. After all is said and done, there are some "mystery" charges that show up on your final bill when you return the car - without being able to speak Spanish, and the agent not very good in English, it can be frustrating..some tourists have seen their bill double! Phoning the rental car companies stateside does very little - they often don't know about current Mexican policies, etc. So....renting a car is very worthwhile - the prices from company to company very much the same - but try and be as clear and careful as possible..One last thing, be sure to inspect your rental car BEFORE you depart - with an agent - they should diagram EVERY scratch or dent so that you don't get blamed (and charged) for those when you finish your trip. I had a friend get charged$200 for crack in a window that was there before they took the car! Have fun!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to rent a car?

If you have a gold or platinum Mastercard, Diner's Club, or Amex card, you will be covered on the insurance--call your company to verify it.

1. There is manditory Mexican insurance that you cannot drive the car off the lot without having; it is mandidated by law.

2. However, most companies do not quote the rate in their quote to you. The exceptions are Avis (and National). We've had excellent luck with Avis and booked through their international desk. The rates have been lower than we could find on line-----and we know, up front, what the cost will be.

3. If you buy the insurance the car companies try to sell you, there are some problems:

a. there is a $1000 deductible, so you are responsible for any damage up to $1000.00

b. your credit card insurance (which has $0.00 deductible and will cover the whole damage) does not apply AT ALL if you accept the car company's insurance. THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO THE LIABILITY INSURANCE REQUIRED BY MEXICAN LAW (and included in the rate Avis--and National--quote you.

As I'm sure you have guessed, I recommend Avis and using the insurance provided by your credit card company (call the company to make sure that you are, indeed, fully covered).

Pat

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,033 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to rent a car?

We have used Avis numerous times, and they have been just fine-haven't rented for the entire stay in a few years now-but their "topless bugs" used to be apx $120/wk plus the Mexican insurance for total coverage-which is a good thing to go ahead and take!