We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about money

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
bolivia, nc
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about money

I've read some of the older posts regarding pesos vs dollars. I was originally thinking I should convert the majority of my money into pesos and also have some US dollars. But I've read that if the price of something is in US dollars, you should pay in US dollars. Is that true? Are most items shown in US dollars? Should I bring half and half? Also, are larger peso denomination (i.e 200, 500 or higher) accepted if your paying for something like dinner? Help, I am so confused!

Washington
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Confused about money

And you should also know that businesses will not accept torn currency whether US or MX pesos. While at a resort last February, we exchanged some US for pesos. When we were checking out, the staff tried to refuse a slightly torn 500 peso bill that we originally got from them. They ended up accepting it, but be warned!

Comfort, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Confused about money

Whats really confusing is paying in dollars and getting change in pesos.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Confused about money

80 Maggies, no wonder you are so good at the conversion rate. My wife has it down to a real science, she looks at me and says, "Handle it".

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Confused about money

Try paying with mixed currency, at a bar, late at night....now thats a brain teaser!

Always best to try to pay with pesos as mentioned to get the best price. We usually head to town in the day just to visit the cash machine and head back to the hotel to put the $ away. Some how we end up doing this twice...where do all the pesos go? Too many great restaurants and bars to visit!!!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Confused about money

You are in Mexico they deal in peso, they don't know there real money??? If I'm in a country I use there money.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Confused about money

Wow....I wrote this "tongue-in-cheek"....80 maggies for two in a ten day period is only 4 maggies, per person, per day!

I fugured that I would get some good natured harrassment about being a piker!

Now I have to wonder if some of you (not to mention any names, but their initials are: Tie-Guy and SherriffJoe) aren't light weights!

Four drinks a day? Amateurs!!

danmc3....yes, we are in Mexico, and I am always perfectly willing to use "their" money, but if they wish to give me a discount, I will be happy to use "my" money, over "theirs".

We carry both US$ and $Pesos, and typically ask if there is a preference, and pay accordingly.

17. Re: Confused about money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 24, 2014