We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amerimed Ripoff

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amerimed Ripoff

Family members are in San Jose del Cabo. An older relative fell and hit her head. Two days later, complications required her to be transported to hospital by ambulance. Overnight stay, two CT scans, a few pills and they sent her home. The cost $9,000, and yes, that's dollars, not pesos. The doctor wants her to come back for another CT scan (cost for each is $1,000). This seems to me like a form of robbery, they see you coming. Unfortunately, due to an oversight or some other reason, they didn't get insurance this time, so it's all out of pocket. Even if they did have insurance, these rates seem outrageous (and please, no vitriol for them not having insurance, it's a mistake they made and are living with).

I'd say, please beware when you are going there, I don't know if they decide when you come in whether you'll get charged the gold standard or a lower rate, but they have you where they want you.

Very frustrated.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

Depending on what was getting scanned, head for example is probably the highest, it can cost 'up to' 4800 in the US, so if she had 2 scans plus medical attention and meds I can see that costing a lot. Not to mention a radiologist to interpret the scans.....Sorry it cost so much but although it does sound outrageous, I wouldn't be surprised.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

So sorry to hear this. Hope they end up with no long lasting injuries from this fall.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

Thank you. Fingers crossed. She can't fly home until she recovers suficiently, and she probably needs another CT scan to confirm this. Really hoping they can come home safely.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

Coming from Canada, we're not used to private medical care, and I was under the impression it was much cheaper in Mexico, especially reading others' reviews of this hospital. My sister had her appendix out, emergency appendectomy, was in hospital for five days, and it only cost her insurance $15,000, about three years ago in Mexico.

Oh, and yes, it was her head being scanned.

Edited: 9:41 pm, April 13, 2013
PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

no doubt they take advantage of the Gringos.. . Aren't you able to send the bill to your insurance at home??? Probably a lot of red tape...but some resolve hopefully.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

I just checked a U.S. price for a CT scan and they range from 678-3,000 dollars. I also believe that a scan of different parts of the body (e.g. one for head one for spine) cost for each scan even if done at the same time so I am seeing complaints of U.S. scans costing 15,000 USD and up. The price does not appear unreasonable to me. Did the total cost include the ambulance?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

I was thinking same thing. It's probably out of pocket on the front end, but even the less than ideal insurance policies cover emergencies.

Hopefully they will recover a majority of the fees paid up front.

Hope she is on road to recovery!

Dawn

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

Canadians typically don't have insurance as our health care is 'free'. If I were to have an accident out of country they don't pay for it. Most times we take out travel insurance to cover these types of incidents.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

I'm guessing that the person in the accident was not Canadian (hubby is Canadian).

Pretty sure if she had socialized medicine and knew she was not covered out of thecountry, she would have had insurance.

Regardless, I hope the care was good and she is on the mend.

Dawn

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amerimed Ripoff

She said they're from Canada