We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Hesston, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

I'm planning a surprise 30th birthday trip to Cabo in August (Thursday-Monday) for my husband. I am hoping to spend no more than $200-$250/night but less is fine. Looking for a nice hotel/resort--nothing fancy per se, but definitely not a dump or crappy service. Here's what we will for sure be doing so suggestions based on this would be great!:

GOLF- He is an avid golfer and will definitely want to play 2+ courses while there. Somewhere relatively close would be great. Anybody have a favorite must-play??

NIGHTLIFE- We like to have a great time drinking and dancing, and since he's turning 30 and might possibly start thinking a mid-life crisis is coming, I think we will probably be trying to act like we are closer to 21! Hotels/resorts near or in Cabo San Lucas is preferred since what I've been reading its definitely the party town.

ALL-INCLUSIVE??- Not sure about this one. Is it worth it? We aren't snobby/picky eaters but don't like crappy buffets either. We do like to drink though and will be throughout the day. Beer, wine, cocktails, shots...we like it all! Since we will be golfing at least two of the four days we are there, would it be dumb to go to an AI since we will be buying our own food some of the time?

BEACH- Since this is our first time to Mexico, let alone Cabo, we definitely want to be on a beach, I think. Or at least have views of the beach from a pool. I don't need swimming in the ocean per se, as I'm terrified of sharks, but my husband wouldn't mind if available.

Any other must-do must-see suggestions would be great! This trip is all about golfing and acting young so a restful zen experience isn't neccesary this time!

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

I would get on www.redweek.com and rent a unit from an owner. You can get a lovely junior suite with a fridge and kitchen at the lovely Pueblo Bonito Sunset beach for $600 a week. All suites are ocean view and its a Great resort with free transportation to town. I would not get All Inclusive as the restaurants in town are fantastic and most have good prices as well.

Look at the Pueblo Bonito Rose and the Pueblo Bonito Blanco Resorts along with the Casa Dorada. All these are on swimmable Medano beach in town and all are walkable to town, the Marina and hundreds of restaurants.

The Golf courses are amazing in Cabo. Your best deal price wise is a offered by www.questrogroup.com You can purchase their golf pass good for two or three rounds at any of their three courses. All are wonderful. I like the Puerto Los Cabos course and there Cabo Real course the best. All drinks and food is included at the Puerto Los cabos course. A rental car is your best bet for the days you plan to golf. Taxis would cost you more than a rental card.

The twilight round at Cabo Del Sol on the Desert course is affordable and a great play. www.cabodelsol.com

Edited: 5:43 pm, April 13, 2013
NEWPORT BEACH,CA
Level Contributor
579 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

PBSunset is to far out of town in my opinion. Stayed there once felt like I was in cabs or shuttles forever.

Look for something walking distance to the Marina where all the night life is and great restaurants. Or at least only a 5 min cab ride.

Hesston, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

Thanks for your help! Would it be smart to stay close to the nightlife or close to the golf? I really think we will be doing both probably every day that we are there. I was looking into Fiesta Americana Grand Los Cabos Golf and Spa because of the price and proximity to golfing. I'm guessing a car rental would be needed to go anywhere else?

Hesston, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

Or does anyone have any experience with Villa Del Arco Beach Resort? That looks like its right near downtown-walking distance. I would still need to get a rental for the golfing then, right?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,448 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

You might get in touch with Marcie at Caboplanner.com as she lives in Cabo and could probably help you with most of your thoughts :)

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

Since you plan on Golf and Night life you cant be near both. A rental vehicle would be a smart idea on the days you plan to golf.

Villa del Arco is newer resort on the edge of Medano Beach in Cabo. You can walk to the swimmable Medano Beach, Marina and restaurants from there. Bring sneakers if you plan on long walks. The beach sand is very grainy and tough on tender feet. The roads and sidewalks in Cabo are uneven and nonexistent is some places. I put a link to a map showing where villa Del Arco is in relationship to town. You can zoom in and out on this map and as you move the cursor it will reveal some resorts, restaurants, bars, ect. wikimapia.org/…b

The Fiesta Americana is on the corridor a few miles outside of Cabo. If you like the Villa Del Arco it would be a better location for you than the Fiesta Americana.

Hesston, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

Thank you so much! That helps a ton!! So is it easy to rent a car for only the days I need it, or should I pre-book and just pick it up at the airport and drive ourselves to our hotel and then all the other things we end up doing on our trip?

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

I would look at Cabo Villas as its right on Medano Beach and the fun beach bars are right next to it and the nightlife is only a 10 min walk or a $6 cab ride away......if you want the best deal on car rentals from the airport just search for "Antonio" on this board or "Cactus" as Antonio manages cactus car rental and just ask him in your email or phone call for the trip advisor rate with Mexican 3rd party insurance included and he will give you a great deal. Also I would vote no on the AI as you will be away golfing too much for it to be worth it.

Edited: 2:09 pm, April 14, 2013
Hesston, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

I found an offer for a "Mexico Golf Passport" which basically looks like a coupon book for a ton of golf courses all throughout Mexico-good for 2 years. Anyone have experience with that and is it worth it? Like I've said before, I think my husband will be playing at least 2 if not 3 courses in Cabo while we are there.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30th surprise birthday trip- help with details!

Rocky G is the golf expert here for Cabo so i would follow his lead if I were you