We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday phone

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
misson hills, ca
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
holiday phone

I was just checking out a website called holidayphone.com. what they do is send you a sim card for your phone that allows you to keep your cell # and use it while traveling. It's a flat fee of $54 and change for 1 hour talk time while in Mexico. You can add 1gb of data for another $15. Compared to what I've spent in the past using my phone, this is pretty good, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using this company?

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: holiday phone

Klas sounds like a commercial, to me.

We've used AT&T's Mexico Plan in the past, but as PNWF mentioned, it is no longer availible. They now have a plan that costs $30 rather than $4.95 pro-rated...(imagine that!!)

We buy it (on one phone), but we're lucky to have wi-fi at our condo, and found that with our Apple devices, FaceTime works really quite well, and it is free. Of course, those that you call on facetime also have to have iPhones, or iPads (or even iTouches), but at least it works for us.

...hmmm...this is not an Apple commercial....really!

Gilbertsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: holiday phone

Steer clear of this company. I used them for a trip to Italy for 10 days April/May 2013. Guaranteed full coverage, phone was compatible no problem. Well they took my money and sent me a card. That's where the good times ended. I followed their instructions precisely when I reched Italy. No service. I had limited internet access in Italy which is why I wanted the sim card. Once a day I was able to reach them. 7 days of you phone is not compatible, when it was, your phone is not unlocked, which it was, your phone is not an international phone, which it was and several resets on their part and I finally got cellular access with four days left in my 10 day trip. Coverage is horrible. They tell you they use top carriers which they don't I had little to no signal for three of my last 4 days. And those days were in major cities. A total waste of money. Wait until you reach your destination and buy a sim card there. They will make sure you are working on the spot and you have a source to visit if you have problems. Holiday phone takes your money and thats it. Stay far away from them unless you want to throw your money away.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: holiday phone

Klas, WIFI is not recommended by whom???? Most, if not 99% of people on vacation in Cabo won't be telling any state secrets or conducting any major drug operations by phone so it really does not matter if the WIFI is not secure. Maybe 007 needs a secure phone while In Cabo but I can assure you most of us do not nor will we be doing any shopping by phone so we will not need to be telling anyone our CC #'s either so all in all I think the unsecure WIFI is just fine for most of us.

Now where did I leave MoneyPenny's phone number?

Springfield...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: holiday phone

I would not suggest that anyone use this company for a phone card. I had an unbelievably bad experience with them where they never even sent me a card after I paid for l! The company rep that I spoke with said it was because I ordered that it be sent by regular mail instead of express mail! Well who knew?! I waited very patiently for the card to arrive until two days before I left on my trip. I attempted to contact a supervisor but never got a response. NOT good! I ended up using Verizon package and it worked great.

Holidayphone is NOT a reputable company.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
509 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: holiday phone

Klas I agree this is a commercial. You have post in more than one forum about this phone service. I didn't know what it was before but from the sounds of people posting it sounds like something to stay away from. Ill use my ATT and skype.

Scott Township...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: holiday phone

When it works - it might be good, but when it doesn't - you have no way to call abroad and no refund. I ended up buying a local SIM (stores are everywhere) Cheaper and reliable. I wouldn't take the risk and advise you to stay away from those guys.

J L
San Jose, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: holiday phone

BEWARE HOLIDAY PHONE!!

At first they seem nice and helpful, but they have a no return, sucks to be you attitude if something doesn't work. It turns out that before you leave the states you must be sure your phone is unlocked (and they claim this is clearly stated within the thousands of words of their terms and conditions buried in their site).

If you haven't done this, their card won't work and you are out the money. Oh, and this reply comes after having emailed them before the purchase and explaining which phone / carrier I had - guess they just "forgot" to mention this.

I'd say use another vendor who might actually care about service, not just taking your money!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: holiday phone

DO NOT Use!

I just got back from Italy where they said it would work but it didn't. I contacted support several times to no avail. Two phones were unlocked, two simms did not work.

I followed all the instructions but it would NOT connect to the network.

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: holiday phone

AVOID AVOID AVOID.

I used them for a trip to Thailand for 20 days a few weeks ago.

Guaranteed full coverage, my iphone is fully unlocked as I have used many SIMs with it before no problem. I paid them and I got the card. I followed the instructions to the letter before, on the pland and when I landed in Bangkok. NO SERVICE - INVALID SIM, nothing, no matter how many times I changed all the settings on the iphone or switched it on or off.

I contacted them on e-mail and they told me it was my phone, cheeky wotsits, no matter how much I told them I had used many different SIMs before without issue. Then the excuse was that my phone wasn't unlocked, which it is, then it was not an international phone, which it is as I had used in Qatar and Turkey weeks before, and in Canada after my trip to Thailand!

I then had to pay £6 to send it back to Sweden only to be told it worked and it was my fualt - no refund, no service when I was away, no NOTHING!

Avoid them! Wait until you reach your destination and buy a sim card there. They will make sure you are working on the spot and you have a source to visit if you have problems. Holiday Phone takes your money and gives you NOTHING.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: holiday phone

I am having a problem with the same company. I purchased 3 simms for iPad for France. When I got there, they didn't work at all. I had to take time, search out a local company (Vodaphone) and purchase from them. The Vodaphone simms worked just fine. HolidayPhone is "thinking" about whether they will give me a refund. These guys absolutely suck.