We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newly single - where to stay?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Newly single - where to stay?

Hi everyone,

I am in my early 30's newly single and looking to get away to the sun and sand. I am a little bit nervous about traveling alone and what it will be like. I am not a very outgoing person and can be a little shy. I tend to keep to myself on vacation and in my normal life.

I have been to Cabo once before and am thinking about heading down by myself. I am considering a rental property, with a small kitchenette, but am also tempted by the all inclusives, as it would be nice to have food and drink at any time of day or night. I really want to go to Wal-Mart when I'm there for snacks, drinks, etc, so I would like to be within that general vicinity. I will not be renting a car.

Right now I am all over the place. I have looked into the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (beautiful) the Finisterra, Marina Fiesta, and many others! I am so confused. I really don't want to feel out of place eating at AI restaurants...I plan on laying in the sun with a drink in hand, reading, swimming, and just relaxing. I am not looking to party. I don't want to deal with people asking me why I am alone.

Do any of you have suggestions that might work for someone like myself? I am looking for the end of May. I just need a little help in choosing an appropriate property.

Thanks!

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

If you indeed want to be alone then do SB Pacifica, it is a VERY laid back and quiet AI resort

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,693 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

I often travel solo to Mexico (more often Puerto Vallarta, but have been solo once to Cabo). I prefer just to stay at a normal hotel. I'm a budget traveler so for me Mar de Cortez worked out great. I always find people to talk with. But think I'm more comfortable there than I would be at an all-inclusive resort (which I'm only guessing since i've never actually been to one -lol- is more couples or families). There were lots of other people by themselves at MdC when I was there. Whether guys down for fishing, people passing thru on their way to other parts of the Baja, etc.

suze

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

I am an owner at pueblo Bonito Rose, have been since the beginning. The first year of my divorce I was paralyzed at the thought of going to Cabo alone. I pulled my on my big girl pants and booked my week at Rosé. I had the greatest time. So many friendly people so willing to adopt a woman alone. I never spent time alone, went out for dinner with new friends every night, and was so greatfull that I didn't chicken out! I believe a resort like Rosé has such a great demographic of people it would be a great choice for you. Pacifica may be mor a couple thing. I am not not a Mar de Cortez fan and would personally find it depressing to be there on my single journey. No offense, just me. I wish you well and please go, have fun. Cabo people are wonderful . Good luck

Edited: 3:58 pm, April 01, 2013
Seattle
Level Contributor
46,693 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

<I am not not a Mar de Cortez fan and would personally find it depressing to be there on my single journey.>

I didn't take offense. And I didn't recommend MdC for this person. And sorry but I can't afford a nicer, more expensive resort.

Was simply sharing my own experiences as a solo traveler and meant my comments to be *encouraging*. I'm not on a "single journey" either (lol) i've always been single and plan to stay that way ;-) suze

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

i think you should check out playa grande. all the rooms have a kitchen, so if you wanted to you could eat in a couple of nights, they also have an option to do a 3 day AI meal plan if you want. It's nice and quiet, and people tend to leave you alone while you are at the pools. You also do have an option to use a lounge chair on the beach, away from people if you like, but it's on the pacific side, so you can't swim in the ocean.

Check it out on your search, good luck!

6. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, April 02, 2013
alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

We stayed at the Wyndham on the marina and really liked it! It was close to tons of restaurants and bars, the pool area was just gorgeous with tons of chances to people watch- we loved watching all I the snorkel and party boats come and go- and the best part was that is was under 100 bucks a night for a marina view junior suite.

Great place!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

Stay close in so that after a few shots of Don Julio, you can visit the office, Billygans, and a few others on the beach and just get wild and crazy. Have some fun. after all you are in Cabo.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

I am going alone this year myself! First time in a zillion years. I "own" at the Solmar Beach Club for May, and find it to be just about perfect. They have some decent rates, the location is perfect for wandering into town when you feel like it, everyone by the pools respects your wanting to be quiet, or they are willing to get acquainted. Many of the AI people I chatted with last year were truly loving that........I don't do it, but rather will eat in town when I feel like it, or head to the restaurant on site.........depends on my mood at the time. Also-most meals in restaurants are very large, so I will have plenty of left overs to warm when I get hungry. It is a place to consider for your stay.

10. Re: Newly single - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, April 02, 2013