We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starter packages at Playa Grande?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Starter packages at Playa Grande?

We arrive on March 30 around 5:30 pm so don't expect to be at the Playa Grande until 7:30ish or later. Does the PG have "starter packages" of coffee, sugar etc? I was also wondering if the shuttle provided by the PG would stop at Walmart quickly (15 mins) in order to pick up breakfast things. Anyone have experience with that?

As well, has anyone taken a water taxi to/from PG to the marina area? Cost? Where would the water taxi pick us up or drop off at PG?

My husband has ALS (Lou Gehrig's) and we will be bringing a travel wheelchair, can we bring that on the water taxi?

Best place for beer/wine purchases? Best selection and price?

So excited., 6 more sleeps.

D in Muskoka

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,883 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

There isn't a shuttle provided by Playa Grande. They have an arrangement with a transportation company to provide service, but it isn't a PG shuttle. So the other folks on the shared shuttle may be going to other resorts. Do not expect them to stop at the grocery store. If you have a private shuttle, you can ask. All the Transportation options are listed in the upper right, Top Questions.

There is an OXXO 'corner store' at the bottom of the PG driveway. Map wikimapia.org/…8 Street View (under construction) http://goo.gl/maps/lj69b

There is a wheelchair accessible water taxi http://www.cabowaterlimos.com/ You can access that one from the marina. If you get off at Medano Beach from that water taxi you can step to the sand; regular water taxis require you to jump into the water or to be carried by a 'helpful' local (tip.) I'm not sure how your husband will get off the taxi if he isn't fully mobile. Nor do I know what you'll do with a travel wheelchair on the beach ... or is it one of those beach chairs? Anyway, I think you can take a folded wheelchair onto the water taxi with you.

Use that map to see the marina. That's where you catch the water taxi. It would be much easier to take a land taxi from PG to Medano Beach. Depending on what you'd like, ask for quiet Tabascos (beach bar) or adult-entertaining Mango Deck. We usually recommend that folks walk along the beach till they find a bar they like, but you might want more info about the various bars so you can make the right selection without slogging down that slanted beach.

Beer / wine? I think La Europea next to Walmart. Take the colectivo bus or a taxi there and a taxi back.

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

Playa Grande is in the heart of the marina area. You just have to go down the hill

Getting off of a water taxi at Medano can be challenging under the best of conditions. I suggest a water taxi if you want to see the arch, Lovers Beach ect but have them take you back to the marina where you can catch a regular taxi over to Medano. I would also suggest checking out Baja Cantina on the beach. Good food, great service. The atmosphere is a nice mix...

We used Cabo Kuzer's beverage delivery service on our last trip and will certainly do it again on the next trip. You can custom order what ever you want or go with their monthly special. What we liked was that he was able to fulfill the special requests we made. We ordered wine, Captain Morgan, Absolute and the mixers we needed, along with a case of beer and water. He brings it right to the hotel so you don't have to lug it around yourself (the bellhop loaded it in his cart and took it right to the room and if memory serves me right he even put it in the fridge). Highly recommend. You can find him on Facebook or email at cabokruzer@gmail.com. There are other reviews of his service on Trip Advisor.

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

Oops hit post before I meant to! Yes there are coffee, sugar and creamers in the room. I was also going to say that PG does not have water taxi access. You have to go down the hill to catch one. 6 more sleeps? Lucky you! Have great time! Our next trip isnt till October so I haven't even counted sleeps. :(

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

Just got back from a four week stay at Playa Grande. This was our 12th trip. Yes, there is coffee in the room, but a one pound bag is about $15.00 US or more. There is no sugar or creamers in the rooms either. They did supply coffee filters this past trip. I just bring enough down in my checked luggage to last a couple of days until we have our groceries delivered.

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

Maybe what I saw was someone leftovers...I didn't even think about that and we are not coffee drinks so I wouldn't have know if PG replenished supplies or not.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
975 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

I always bring coffee and my sweetener so I don't have to buy a whole box full. If you're going to get in late you might want to bring just enough to get you through breakfast. Then hit the grocery first thing.

Pretty sure the shared shuttle won't stop in route to the resort, but if you're on the private one the driver will stop if you ask him.

Like everyone else mentioned, no water taxis on the pacific side, but it's only a few minutes walk to the marina, so you don't need one anyway. :)

We pick up our booze at Costco... decent wine selection.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

Even with private shuttles, you have to pre-arrange a stop. They can't always do that if they have other parties to pick up.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,033 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

I agree-while I understand those packages of coffee are very good, they are expensive! I bring my own, and my little vanilla creamers ;) (that way-I don't need sugar) I also bring a couple snacky things-almonds, micro-popcorn........and in the 'old days' I have had Cape Travel make a quick stop on the way, but that was many long years ago-don't think they do that now. Enjoy your stay!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
975 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

We did a private transfer with Cape Travel last year and he stopped on the way for us. So I guess it all depends on his schedule and what time of the day it is...or maybe it's all about the tip? :)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starter packages at Playa Grande?

luckytimer...the OXXO store that is right across the street from your driveway is really a easy place to grab what you might need. You will probably be going out a lot to eat anyway...so all you really need can be gotten here. I use this place all the time...stopping by to grab a cold water, as I walk past, or a soda...and when I pass by on my way back to my apartment, I grab some cheese, or ham slices or bread...they have a nice selection of wines, different alcohols...and an excellent price of beers. Being by myself, it makes no sense for me to bus to WalMart or wherever...and then pay a cab to get back to Pedregal... When you are out walking with your husband...use the sidewalk across the street from you...it has less holes and obstructions in the sidewalk and easier for his wheelchair...and when you see the big ugly building...the Pavillion...you can cross there...and you will find the California Ranch Organic Grocery store...as well as the Mambo. Mambo actually beats the prices by just a tad over OXXO on most things...and they have a nice selection also of wines, not too much alcohol (just the standard stuff...I don't drink it, so didn't really look!!)...and lots of beers...and beers at both OXXO and Mambo are sold as seperates...one can at a time...which makes it nice...try them all!!!

They also have bananas, apples, limes, etc...cereal, boxes or bottles of milk, juices of all kinds, macaroni and sauces, rice, canned tuna, good packages of soup as well as cans, chips and candy, crackers, etc. Certainly a good selection for just fill ins for a week or three!! California Ranch is very expensive...and really can't remember if they had any alcohol or not...I just got ticked off at their prices and never went back in there!!!

As KatD does, I also bring my own coffee for my entire winter stay, and bring my own flavored creamer (powered kind). I also bring tea bags, and flavored ones, boil up a kettle of water and make a nice batch of tea...cool it down...then chill it for great iced tea on the balcony! So refreshing!! I also bring micro popcorn and quickly met fun neighbors with the smell of that!! (And the birds love it too!!)

Just a P.S.....

The Marina area down by your condo is very accessible for you to walk with your husband...there are new curbs everywhere so not a problem for his chair...and the entire Marina area is smooth sailing...around town they have done the new curbing, too...but then they forgot to fill in the holes in the middle of the sidewalks, or cut down the tree, or remove the power poles or the wires!!! Being visually impaired it drove me nuts trying to not run into hazards!! But walking the Marina area will give you hours of fun...all the boats and shops and if you walk far enough, you will be at the Mall which is very user friendly (just DO NOT take photos!!) There is an elevator to take you to the second floor...and up there was a nice sitting area by the Chinese take out restaurant...it is never busy and a fun place to just pull up to a table, relax and enjoy people watching below. I enjoy going there to read or do my Sudoko's...grab a beverage from the Chinese place...or on the main level right by the elevator is a big store with lots of ice cold beverages...buy them there, grab the elevator...and sit down and rest for a bit!

Enjoy your stay...Cabo is such a fun place...hard not to have a great time!