We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
409 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

I am exchanging our timeshare for our vacation. Our choice has always been the Casa Dorado at Medano Beach. I just checked today and there is nothing available for this hotel in the time that we want to travel. Our choices are Grand Solamar or Hacienda.

Our original choice had everything that we were looking for in a hotel. Now we need to switch gears and find another hotel. I've done some research and will continue to research, but can I get some feedback from others.

We want to be close to town so we can go to all the wonderful restaurants and bars. I know that the beaches are not swimmable at either hotel. We are looking for a fun resort where there are things to do during the day. Not college drinking fun, but events that we can participate in if we want. Some food/snacks, swim up bar, a beach where we can at least walk for long distances and enjoy some sun, close enough that we can walk to other resorts/beach bars/restaurants along the beach. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

Which Hacienda? The Grand Solmar meets all your needs, except they do not have pool games with music, but you could walk over to their sister place the Playa Grande. GS has fewer families, but is close to town for eating etc. GS is our first choice in Cabo. The restaurent Hacienda cantina y cocina on Mendano is wonderful for meals. If that is your other exchange option, which I assume it is, it is very nice and you can't go wrong there either. Can walk to town in 10-15 minutes through the marina, it is on the busier beach, but has great views. GS is on the best beach with no vendors, jet skis etc, very few people on the beach . GS also has turtle releases at times. Check redweek.com to see what folks are charging for rents to evaluate what the exchange comparabilities are.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

We love the Grand Solmar for not only the amenities and friendly staff but also for its close proximatey to town. Really need to know which Hacienda because if it is the Encantata that is about 6 miles outside of town.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

I suspect the other trade option is Hacienda Encantada. If that is so, you would be about 3.5 miles outside of town, so this would not be close enough to walk to everything. If instead, it is the Hacienda Beach Resort, you would be in a lovely location as well as a lovely place.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

There's also Hacienda Del Mar. It's 10 KM out of town.

Riverside, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

I did not realize Hacienda Beach Resort was a timeshare. That would be my first choice if it was, but I would probably bet it is the Encatada.....in which case I would go to the Grand Solmar. We were there last year on a timeshare trade and it was lovely. Low keyed....but as previously stated coud go to Playa Grande for a day.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

mssmweiss, Hacienda Beach Resort is not a timeshare, but some full and fractional ownership resorts still have arrangements with companies that allow "trades" between resorts. I don't know if Hacienda has this arrangement, but it is possible.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
693 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

Yes HDM is a bit out of town in the corridor. It is a great resort but a bit on the quiet side. We love it for that but there are no other resorts or restaurants to walk to along the beach etc. They do have a swim up bar over by the Sheraton, and they have activity's...but nothing we ever really get involved in. Think pool exercising, mexican bingo, etc.. They do have a couple of great restaurants on site and right next to what looks like some fantastic golf (though likely expensive), but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

The Hacienda merely rents the rooms out, $450 to 500/night for the skinny kid.

Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
409 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

I appreciate all the replies, but I do have a few more questions. It is the Hacienda Encantada, which is out since it's so far. I do realize that the beach is not swimmable at the GS, but is there a long expanse that you can walk on? I know at the Casa Dorado Medano, which was our original choice and is no longer available, that you could walk on the beach for a quite a long ways.

I just found out that to get to Medano Beach you have to take a water taxi or walk through the town. What are the differences between the beach where the GS is and the beach where the Casa Dorado is? I believe there is more to do on Medano Beach, more beach bars/restaurants and more activity during the day and at night? Is there a map where I can see where the hotels/marinas are located so I can have a better idea?

Also we do have a few more choices other than the GS. The choices are Villa Del Palmar, Cabo Villas and Casa Dorada San Lucas Bay. Based on my first post would these be better choices? All feedback is appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,888 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel I want is gone - Choices are now......!!!!!

Hi

Descriptions of all those resorts plus maps are linked to the Top Questions in the upper right.

Yes, you can walk on unswimmable Pacific-side Solmar Beach. No, there aren't any vendors or beach bars.

On swimmable Medano Beach, you'll find vendors, beach bars, people watching, and water sports.

Villa Del Palmar ~ family friendly, 'lowest' of the 3 Villa properties

Cabo Villas ~ some don't like the shady pool

Casa Dorada San Lucas Bay ~ it's really the ME Cabo and great for beautiful people who like 'music' at 2 am around the pool

-> None of these three are up to the quality of the Grand Solmar nor even the Casa Dorada.

Map: wikimapia.org/…8

Map with newer satellite photo flashearth.com/…

Move the maps around to find Grand Solmar on Solmar Beach and to see Villa del Palmar off the edge of Medano Beach.