We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone Use In Cabo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
98 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone Use In Cabo

Hi - I have T_Mobile service and Android phone and would appreciate anyone who has any tips on using it for calling back to the US. Staying at Casa Dorada. Has anyone installed any apps that may help. Also have no idea what settings I have to change once I get there, wifi, etc???? Any help is appreciated!

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

I have t-mobile as well. I always turn off my wifi....because as t-mobile told me it would cause me to use more of my data plan....ie it keeps pinging off the towers. I turn the wifi on every now and then to sent pic messages, but that's it. I don't really care about email, I'm on vacation. Watch your text messages....it is a fee to send and receive. I don't call home unless its urgent, easier and cheaper to text. As far as apps....I have Trip Advisor....hehe the most important, and the weather. I try to get away from technology on vacation. Also to call home remember you need the country code.

Edited: 8:39 pm, March 09, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

Wifi is free, it's the data that you want to shut off so you don't hammered on a roaming charge. You should always check with your carrier to see if they have a International roaming package for the phone.

3. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, March 11, 2013
4. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, March 11, 2013
5. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

6. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

Bonnie is officially a 4 poster!

I use an app on my phone in Cabo, it's called Line 2. It's dirt cheap you get a dedicated phone number, it works over wifi. So my iPhone has the Verizon network shut off and as long as I have a strong wifi signal it works great.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

I just downloaded an app called viper for free that allows you to call and text over wifi for free. I will be testing it out in cabo but I know ill be at the mercy of the wifi quality at my hotel- which I hear isn't that great. The people you want to call back home will also have to down load the app to call or receive calls from you though. I have an international calling plan on my husbands phone but it is extremely expensive to use. I would only use for emergencies!!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

Ttabehouse, we've had pretty good luck finding good wifi in Cabo. The only time it has been slow is when we've tried using a public wifi in a crowded Cantina, where 20 or30 people might be using the same connection. When that happens, we just wait until the next bar, and try again.

Southern California
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phone Use In Cabo

I think the OP was hoping for a TELCEL or Mexico phone company to use their SIM card in her phone. She has a GSM phone. It would also have to be unlocked in order to use a different SIM card as well. I don't think you can do that because of the drug trade in Mexico. I think you need to live in Mexico to get phone service there. I have used Skype over WIFI and it was no problem as long as the number you call has Skype. If not you can pay per minute which is probably cheaper than getting a rental phone.