We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon planning STRESS!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington...
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon planning STRESS!

I have gone back and forth with all the options that Cabo has to offer. I am starting to feel the immense pressure to “get it right” and find the perfect mix of relaxing/dining/drinking/activities. Lucky for me picking the destination was a no brainer. We will be in Cabo Mid October for our 9 night honeymoon and we could not be more excited reading all the posts on here.

First dilemma is the AI vs. exploring all the great restaurants in Cabo. We love to eat out and would like to research restaurants for dinners, but we also plan on breakfast and lunch as well as poolside drinks at the resort. I am at a loss for what is the most cost effective choice. The $95 a day AI makes it tough to add on a $100+ dinner and at the same time a $40 resort lunch & beers is a bit high.

Second Dilemma is location, we’ve already ruled out San Jose del Cabo though we might do the last two nights up there as a change of pace. The around Cabo options are the PB Sunset or Pacifica, Grand Salamar, Casa Dorada, and the Hacienda Encantada. The swimming thing isn’t a big issue on the pacific side just want a great resort. While the 5+ star resorts would be nice I’m afraid it’s outside the budget. Side note, Costco travel has great deals to the PB’s in which one of our two $650 flights is essentially “free” meaning even if we end up at the all inclusive we’d have more fund for activities/dinners out.

Third dilemma is how to accomplish all the activities, I’m thinking of a day by the pool then dinner in town followed by a day out and about and dinner at the resort. We plan on snorkeling, sailing, lover’s beach, Dinner at Pedregal, tequila tasting, Todos santos day trip (hotel California) and a day of sport fishing.

Any and all help will be much appreciated! For now I’ll just have to dream of margaritas and shrimp tacos till then!

ca.
Level Contributor
396 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

In regards to activities www.caboplanner.com and let Marcie handle that. I would stay at a resort on Medano Beach...to make it easy for you quest to save $ and eat at cheaper beach bars & restaurants.

My stepson was married @ The Riu Palace and everyone love it! It was perfect!

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

I agree and would just add some more days, make your special day a truly special time.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
693 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

i would skip the AI, stay at PB Sunset Beach (Maybe look into a renting a timeshare unit for the week?), and hit the walmart.

Assuming you have a unit with a kitchenette, you could save money on lunch by making a stop at walmart for grocerys/beer/drinks/etc. So maybe you buy a beer at the pool, and then go back to your room and grab a couple of your own. Who is to say you didn't buy them at the resort?...assuming it is the same type. Now you may not want to do it because it is your honeymoon, that up to you. But lets say a 7-day stay @95/day for AI, thats $665 right? If you spent $400 at the walmart on grocerys and drinks, you would probably have enough to last you 14 days.

I dunno, its just a thought. But we don't like the AI options at most places anyways.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
721 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

Now, I'm not an AI guy. But, for a honeymoon, I wouldn't rule it out. Take a look at Dreams, for example. Multiple restaurants, bars, swim up pool bars, infinity pool, spa, beautiful rooms, quiet beaches. What's not to like about that? You can relax, do what you you want, and not have to worry about the price of food or drinks. All the above can make for a very happy and stress-free honeymoon. You can book activities in advance through one of the TA recommended tour providers or through the concierge at the hotel. And, take a shuttle or bus into town when you want to go. Just sayin'.....

minnesota
Level Contributor
453 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

For a honeymoon I would think PB Sunset Beach would be great. It is a beautiful resort and you can balance spending some time just lounging at the resort and taking the free shuttle into town when you want some nightlife.

As far as AI, since you are on your honeymoon, if you don't want to have to worry about anything, you could do it and be able to enjoy the restaurants at all of the PB properties (I think a few might be excluded). You could still choose a few days/nights to eat out at other spots. At one time, they offered a 3 day all-inclusive, so that way you could have the best of both worlds, not sure if they still do that or not?

Hope you have a wonderful time!

CA
Level Contributor
362 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

If are thinking of San Jose Del Cabo for a few days, try to get a deal to Cabo Azul. We went on a group on deal for 4 nights for 500. It was amazing! Very romantic, and five star all the way!

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
693 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

Ohh mnteach, I have never heard of 3-day AI, but that might be perfect for him in this case. Tomkat, I would check into that as well.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

I don't know how much you eat, obviously, but you can eat quite nicely in town for the price of most AI plans..............it is usually the alcohol that gets expensive............also-is that AI price of $95 for two? That wouldn't be so bad if it is, but usually it is close to $100/day per person, which I find incredibly expensive.............you might even take a peek at the Grand Solmar-the location is amazing..............

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

Boy you do have dilemmas lucky the hardest one has been decided, who you marry :)

Everything else will be perfect no need to worry.

I want to throw some things out there not so much in regards to stay but might help staying at an AI where your getting all your drinks paid for and your breakfast and maybe 2-3 dinners paid for and still have money for your outside resort fun and eats.

As stated above I think PB resorts still have the 3 day AI. That would allow you to have part of your time as AI, but what I'm seeing not covered there is the other 6 days worth of drinking and breakfasts, assuming you'd not be eating lunch any of your 9 days as you'd eat breakfast and save room for dinner.

Go through these questions to determine if AI is worth it-------

Are you really looking at having breakfast EVERY morning? I ask because Hey I love breakfast but even I can't have omelettes, pancakes, waffles and French Toast for 9 days without not fitting into the plane seat home.

With all your excursions, how much time will you be on property to drink? To make the daily AI fee worth it?

Keep in mind fishing besides being off property you will need to bring or be purchasing food and drinks.

With that said you can save a ton of money with all your doing - DEFINITELY on the Cabo Passport.

And then also using the vouchers.

I really don't remember the cost of the Riu Palace which is AI and was where my sister got married and had her honeymoon, but I thought it was pretty reasonable, but hard to compare with a place like Casa Dorada, Grand Solmar, or my home PB Sunset Beach.

As I stated above the hard decision has already been made, and picking Cabo just makes no matter what you decide a perfect honeymoon.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon planning STRESS!

Do Sunset beach with a couple of days of AI and you will be real happy