We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your favorite Mariachi song?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
What is your favorite Mariachi song?

I am off to Cabo in about 2 months and I was wondering the name of some good Mariachi songs. I love to hear them play but when they ask me what I want them to sing I don't know any good songs. I can only think of la bamba and that is an American song. I would love to know the name of some great songs so the next time a group comes to my table I can give them a few names of some songs. I know everyone's taste is different but I would love some advise.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

Mariachi songs have names???? who knew????

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
721 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

Songs you'd probably recognize~

Cielito Lindo - you know this one (Ay, ay, ay, ay, canta y no llores)

Guantanamera - cuban, but all the mariachis in mx know it and do it well

El Rey

El Son De La Negra

One of my kids went to a performing arts middle and high school and majored in....take a guess - mariachi. He was the only blond haired blue eyed kid in the program but wanted out of parochial school badly enough to accept the only program with space available in the school

He really rocks the vihuela! lol

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

Guantanamera is always a favorite song they love to sing.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

Thank you anejo!!! Anyone else have ones they love ? I am creating my list on my phone for when I get there . The more the merrier.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
721 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

I remember reading on here a few years ago someone heard mariachis perform "Always on my mind" (Willie Nelson, Elvis, Pet Shop Boys...) and I've always requested that and no one knows what I'm talking about. That song just brings back so many memories of my parents dancing when I was a little kid I think I'd cry if anyone could play it for me.

I will keep requesting it and I swear I'll tip them $100 if they can do it! One of these days...

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

I am sure if you keep asking one of these days one of the many Mariachi's will know it and you will be shocked.

cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

These are 5 among my favorite Mariachi songs.......

1. Mujeres Divinas

backstory: A song about and dedicated to all the beautiful and devine women in this world

2. Caminos de Guanajuato

backstory: Perhaps the most famous songwriter in Mexico's history, Jose Alfredo Jimenez sings the tragic true story of his brother's violent death

3. El Mariachi Loco

backstory: Just a fun and goofy song titled "the crazy mariachi". A good mariachi group will dance and act like fools as they perform this song

4. Si Nos Dejan

backstory: One of the most romantic mariachi songs ever written. Often makes me tear up

5. Mexico Lindo Y Querido

backstory: An ode to Mexico, almost an unofficial national anthem. One of the lines says "Mexico, beautiful and beloved, if I die far from you... tell them that i'm just sleeping and have them bring me back here". The words take on a more emotional meaning for Mexicans who are living outside of Mexico.

I like Anejo-Y=Coca and bwask's suggestions too, especially "El Son de la Negra" . Sorry for going on so long, but I really like good mariachi music :)

And yes, SherriffJ.... they have names. Who knew?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,759 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

I carry these song names in my Mexican billfold...but not sure which ones are my favorites...I guess I need to put each name into Youtube and figure it out. A mariachi player gave these to me as his favorites...so not totally sure if the spelling is right..and my note is fading, too!!

Cielito Lindo

Malagueña

Volver

Canción de Mariachi

Serenata Huasteca

Me Nace del Corazon

Jarave Tapatio aka "La Presentación" aka "Mexican Hat Dance"

Adelita

Al Mayor de los Fernandez

No Vale la Pena

Niña Echicera

El Sinalouense

Edited: 1:42 am, January 25, 2013
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

I knew this would be the place to go thanks taco cabo and Judy. You guys are all awesome!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your favorite Mariachi song?

My favorite song to request is: "Cuando Cuando Cuando." I ask for it every place we go when in Mexico! I drive my husband nuts because he ends up hearing it about a dozen times on each trip! My girlfriend loves "Besame Mucho." It's a little too slow for me, but she thinks it's beautiful. Great question, gaburlison!