We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

I went to the free concert last nite at the Pabellon Cultural de la Republica here in Cabo San Lucas. Luna Itzel was presenting her show...Luna Itzel el Canto de Mexico.

I wanted to see inside this building...so this gave me that chance...and was also interested in hearing the music. BUT I was not prepared for how incredible of a show I was about to see. Some people had reserved seats...and the rest of us could just chose a seat from row H and higher...soon I realized how lucky I was to have come at 7.40PM for the 8PM concert...as all seats (tickets and free) were gone...and people started sitting on the steps in the aisles. Packed house...and were we given the show of a lifetime!!

Costumes were absolutely beautiful...she personally changed costumes about 6 times for the 11 songs that she presented to us...and all were just shockingly beautiful. Top of the line designer type things...not just off the rack! The orchestra was incredible...violin, piano, harp, banjo, percussion, guitar, charango (small Andean stringed instrument of the flute family), digiridu (6 foot long musical instrument of the Aboriginal peoples of Australia, consisting of a long hollow branch that makes a deep drone when blown into), and 2 back up singers who also did English translation of what each song would be. The ballerina was out of this world for her intrepretation of the music.

Backdrop lighting was amazing...with photos and the bright colors of Mexican scenery and people from all around this incredible country.

At the start of the show Copal inscense was in smudge type pots and brought down the aisles of the theatre by the native dancers ...and onto the stage as part of the back drop. The Mayan Indians hold copal as very sacred and have used it in ceremonies since before the invasion of the Spanish conquests to the Americas. There were a few tense minutes as the fire alarms went off, and to see all the running around of the production team to shut them off and to call off the fire trucks!

When the show was over, we all did a standing ovation and clapped for "MORE". When you hear free concert...you never know what that means. Well...this was spine tingling! I have gone to many concerts in all my traveling years...and this is only equal to the National Theatre presentations I saw in San Jose Costa Rica...and part of the awe there was just being in that beautiful old Theatre...and all of its history.

Here is an older article and video that I found on line (scroll down under the first big photo)...it will show some of the pagentry of costumes and give you a bit of information as to how this is sponsored...and snippets of her beautiful singing.

Sit back and just enjoy...and I wish that some of you who are here now...could have attended with me. She presented all of us with a beautiful gift of her music for all to remember for life!

http://lettycoppelfoundation.com/events.html

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,033 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

Wow! This sounds wonderful! Makes me want to re-do the Ballet Folklorico in Mexico City, just because it was so amazing. I am so glad you went! :)

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

Glad the free concert turned out to be so nice. It sounds like you are going to be in Cabo for a while, so if you happen to see this group in the following link somewhere in your travels please let me know the name of the group. I was so busy trying to get a nice video of them that I forgot to get there name. ; (

The place where I did see them playing was in the Plaza San Lucas mall where Walmart is. They were there on a Sunday. Maybe you will see them somewhere else.

Mexican native Duo performing at Plaza San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas Mexico

http://youtu.be/k53AevUEn74

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

@Fsmdude - the song that they are playing comes from a 1992 CD called Ocarina w/ Jean Philippe Audin and Diego Modena. I have that CD and love it. The yTube of the players you showed were amazing and did it to perfection. I would love to hear them play live as well. We will be there Feb 22 until March 22, 2013. If anyone who knows this group and can look up their itinerary, if they are in Cabo, I'm there. Thanks for sharing.

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

Travel Judy - just got too involved in the music - anyhow, love all your walking tours!! Great info and thank you.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

Vaya Chica, nice to hear from somebody that obviously has a love for Mexico and it's people. Too many travelers have kept it off their list or had 1 bad experience and now leave it off their list. We love this place and like many others are trying to find a way to live there.

Oh Canada! God Bless America! Viva La Mexica!

Wibaux, Montana
Level Contributor
444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

Thanks for a great report and hopeful tip for future events!

Hofmommyof3

Edited: 10:17 pm, January 23, 2013
Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
971 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

FSMDUDE - that group your are talking about are at the Walmart everyday now. They have a tent out by the parking lot with their music playing all the time.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

TravelJudy...thanks again for the great share! so glad you had a magnificent time....hope we will get to see them one day!

cliu ; )

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

I got your PM and as much as I would have loved to go if I was going to leave the house it would have been to go see Miguel Hill play at the Medano Beach Club because they were fundraising for a friend that just had brain surgery ... I didn't feel well and stayed home.

As much as I hate the cultural center because it is so ugly I have been there many times to support kids productions and its always a treat. There are performances there all the time that I can hear from my home (sound travels in a town of concrete) and quite often I know I am missing out - they do not do a great job promoting anything to the English-only speaking community and most of us only learn of something from a friend and I even follow them on FB ...

Judy - you just gave me an idea. Thanks!!!

Slapp - I told Judy I wished I didn't have to work because I want to experience Cabo with HER ... and I LIVE here! Next time I need directions ... I'm PM'ing TravelJudy before calling a local friend LOL

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TravelJudy Walk #4...Luna Itzel Amazing free Concert

@Cabobound67

Cool Thanks letting us know where that Group is hanging out. Please Can someone in Cabo that is going to Walmart be kind enough to get the NAME of the group and post it here or PM me with the name. Cabobound67 says they have a tent out by the parking lot with their music playing all the time.