We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy wines and snacks

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy wines and snacks

We are going to be staying at the Dreams resort in Cabo in a few weeks time. Although our hotel is an all-inclusive, I'm not a fan of the type of wine they offer. Therefore, I'd like to buy a few bottles of wine and maybe some munchies (chips, etc.). I understand there is a Costco, a Walmart and something called a Mega. What I'd like to know is if anyone knows how far these places are from the Dreams resort and what is the best way for us to get there. If it's taxi, does anyone know the approximate price of the cab ride? Also - if there is any other place that has a good selection of wine, please recommend. I'm an Italian Pinot Grigio drinker.

Thank you so much!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,706 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

Dreams is closer to San Jose than to Cabo, so I suggest you head up there to the huge Mega supermarket. I think there is also a 'branch' of the La Europea chain .... maybe in that strip mall? I've been in the La Europea in the Walmart strip mall, and it's a very well stocked liquor store.

Stop at those stores on the way in from the airport or take the public bus directly to Mega from Dreams. I think the bus would probably be around 12-15 pesos. If you can carry your purchases with you, ride the bus back to Dreams. If you bought too much, take a taxi for .... maybe 200-250 pesos. (just my guesses on prices)

Mentioned in this post
La Europea
La Europea
38 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

I would go to La Europa which is in the Walmart complex. They have a HUGE selection of wines and lots of snack items too. Just don't buy their deli cheese! They tried to charge me 370 pesos for a wedge of cheese! Just about had a heart attack- lol! We did pick up 6 bottles of great wine and champange for about $70 US.

I didn't know there was one in the Mega complex too? That is great!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

Thanks so much househunter15! Would you happen to know how far La Europa is from the Dreams resort? Would it be walking distance or is a cab the way to go?

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

You can not walk to Walmart / La Europa. Probalby a $20k cab ride. Mega is certainly closer or you can contact one of the delivery services. We like CaboKruzer. He will deliver your order directly to your resort

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,706 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

I guess I wasn't clear. Both Costco and Walmart are in Cabo San Lucas.

=> Transpeninsular highway info (Dream is in the Tourist Corridor on this highway.)

Cabo is km 0

Walmart is about km 2.5

Costco is about km 4

Dreams is km 18.5

Mega in San Jose is km 30

===============

I have not been to the La Europea in San Jose, just the one in Cabo. It looks like it's located here: http://goo.gl/maps/fhuKe That's maybe 1/4 mile toward town from Mega.

Mentioned in this post
La Europea
La Europea
38 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
St. Helena...
Level Contributor
996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

Househunter - what wines and champagnes did you buy and what can you recommend?

7. Re: Best place to buy wines and snacks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 17, 2014