We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Massachustts
Level Contributor
190 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

Our family will be spending a week at Solmar Grande. We will likely not be renting a car. Are there any grocery stores within walking distance or a short cab ride? Are grocery prices really high there? Thanks.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

Your best bet will be to stop at Walmart or Costco on your way from the airport. Just ask the cab/shuttle driver to stop and they will , no problem. If that's too much trouble , it's only about $15 to go there from G.S. You can make a deal and they will sit and wait for you in the parking lot if you want for about $25 round trip. There are grocery stores in town but a fair walk if you're planning on a weeks worth of goodies for an entire family. Walmart and Costco are very good and are very close to the same prices as at home. They are definately the better places to buy your alcohol too. Enjoy !

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,886 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

If you are planning to do a lot of cooking, then the Costco/Walmart trip would be a good choice, but do remember that many restaurants serve HUGE portions, and if you aren't a big eater, you will have plenty of great left-overs for things like lunches and snacks. Easy peasy to just warm up.

For little things, you can pick those up at Aramburo and the California Market (Organic) and not have to worry about a lot of shopping. That can be done on foot :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

There is a grocery store in town by Squid Roe/Las Quesadillas (you'll see it on your way to Grand Solmar--I can never remember...I think that is the Aramburo) It is a smaller outfit than Walmart with modestly higher prices, but they carry a wide variety of goods both Mexican and American, and you don't have to pay more for a taxi if you can stand the walk (we prefer to walk to/fro--we take reusable shopping bags from home to make carrying groceries home easier). Even if you do take a taxi, it is only like $6 each way from Grand Solmar.

Don't be surprised to see eggs not refrigerated--they are fine, I buy them each trip. Grocery prices aren't high unless you're buying the imported American stuff, for which you'll pay a premium. Toiletries are at a super premium (sunscreen, bug spray)--they know we need them and will pay!

We also avoid Costco/City Club since it is just the two of us, what would we do with all that food??? And we typically eat out for dinner every day (so many great places!) and lunch most days. Grand Solmar has a nice cooktop, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. No oven.

You can drink the tap water at Grand Solmar and restaurants in town, no need to buy bottled stuff.

There is a little grocery store at Playa Grande and one at Solmar. PG has good selection for a mini mart, Solmar not so much, and both charge a hefty premium for their goods. I only recommend you buy things there that are small or not worth buying a huge container of at the store (laundry detergent, for example, Solmar sells a packet of for like $2 that can wash 2-4 loads).

There is also a convenience store (7/11 or Plaid Pantry style) at the base of the hill by Grand Solmar (and throughout town). Convenient for quick snack supplies, sodas, hot dogs, sandwiches, donuts, candy...the usual mini-mart stuff. There is also a Subway behind the mini-mart, toward the marina in the shopping center, that is open either 24 hours or nearly all day.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,886 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

It is Aramburo, and good point on the eggs! Many people don't realize if they haven't been washed (thus removing the thin membrane substance) that the air can't get through ;)

reno,nv
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

Across the street to the entrance of the Solmar properties is an Oxxo for basics. I fun alternative to Walmart/Costco is to hop on a collectiva bus at the round about near the Oxxo and resort entrance. Take the bus that says Sorianas on the window. It is the local Mexican super store about 4 miles north of the resort. I think the bus is 7 pesos/person. If you have a load of groceries you can take a white cab back to Solmar for about 100 pesos. You'll see some cabs as you exit the store into the parking lot and more near the main street in front of the store.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
839 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

I would take a taxi to Walmart $10 each way. You can get anything you need there at reasonable prices. Aramburo is a rip off, I will not set foot in there.

7. Re: Grocery Stores near Solmar Grande?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 20, 2013