We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Hi, I find out this is a great place with a lot of helpful tips.

I have a question here. My husband and I will spend a week in Los Cabos this June.

Does anyone know any good scuba diving trips and the price range for beginners? We both had a few experiences and are not certified.

Thanks!!!

Paradise on Earth
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

I just picked up information from the people next to my friend, Hermes' tattoo parlor on the marina. They are great people and go up the East Cape, Gordo Banks, Cabo Pulmo and even Cabo.

Underwater Diversions Dive Center has a website at: www.divecabo.com. They are very nice and friendly. Their phone number here in Mexico from the US is 011-52-624-143-30-04. Leave off the first 8 numbers if your calling from Cabo.

They do have dive classes for beginners age 12 and older. Thier dive reates are kind of Greek to me but what they have for Dive Rates is $44 for a one tank boat dive and $65 fir a two boat dive.

They have a 3 hour course (1 tank only) for $90 that includes an ocean dive.

They also have snorkel tours for $25 for local sites, $35 for Chileno and Santa Maria and $65 for Cabo Pulmo.

There are multi-day packages and other charges that I'm not familiar with as a non-diver so you might want to check the website or call them. They are great people.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll see if I can find the answer. Swimming and "springboard" diving were my fortes, but this is Greek to me...but I'll give it a try.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Thank you very much, CaboPrincess!

I just browsed the website you gave me. It is great! We had dived in 30 feet ocean with a coach before...so I guess we probably won't discover much from the discover course...

I will check the one/two tank boat. Do we need a license to do that?

Does any one have some experience of scuba diving in Cabo?

PASADENA,CA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

CaboPrincess great info as usual, you should be a TA Cabo Expert. I usually do not post, but will give some insight based on my 25 years of diving in Cabo and the East Cape. Happyamber, it looks like you guys are ready for the PADI Openwater Certification. You have enough time to complete classroom & confined dive training in L.A. before your vacation. Your Dive master here will give you an Open Water Referral to complete your certification in Cabo. You will complete the openwater dives in 2 days. Underwater Diversions is based out of Orange County, excellent divemasters and customer service, Bluewater Advenures is also excellent and on the marina. I have been out with most of the dive ops, They will take good care of you to complete certification. I do not know any divemasters in Cabo or Cabo Pulmo that will jeapordize your safety and risk their business by allowing an uncertified diver in open water. There are critical skills you need to master before leaving the confines of shallow water. The open water class will expose you to this training. After certification, you can take a day trip out to Cabo Pulmo to explore the reefs. Your divemaster will let you know when you are ready for the Gordo Banks. This is deep bluewater diving @ 130+ ft.

PA
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Treasurediver.......

Is it true you need a 7mm wetsuit to dive in Cabo mid-May?

I'm used to Caribbean diving with just my lycra skins.....am sort of concerned about how much extra weight I'd need for that thick a wetsuit.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Thanks for the great information, Treasurediver!

To get a PADI is what we always want to do. We probably won't have time to finish the class before June. Will definitely do it in the future! I guess we can only do some snorkelling in Cabo this time. How is the water temp in mid-June?

We plan to book a trip to Cabo Pulmo to save the trouble of driving...

PASADENA,CA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Polk, is this your 1st dive trip to CSL and first dive for the season? Being in So. Cal we are lucky to dive year round. Water temps by mid May should be pushing 70F+. I do not think you will need a 7mm then, but I would pack your 7 & a 4/3 , especially if you do not want to borrow one from the dive shop. Good to have in case you decide to do some bluewater diving or a night dive. You will enjoy the Chileno Reef, Sand Falls and the Abyss, easy dives, but get crowded when the cruise ships come in for day excersions. Hopefully you can get out on a quiet day, you picked a good time before Memorial Day. The Divemasters know the cruise ship schedules. Right before you go, call one of the dive shops for current conditions. Time permitting, get out to Cabo Pulmo for a day trip. Read Yachtmerchants history of Cabo, this is nothing like the Caribbean!

Have a great time!

PA
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

treasurediver,

yes....and yes. Thanks for your input.

Actually we are going to spend a week sailing first. We've chartered a boat out of LaPaz and will sail north of there.

Hopefully I will get a 2 tank dive in up there before we come down to CSL. But my dive buddy doesn't know if he wants to do it if we need a 7 mm suit.

And I don't know if the dive shops would rendevous with us for just one diver. Will have to check that out.

Either way, I am definitely going to dive one day while we are in Cabo. I don't get to 'divable waters' that often, so I really like to take advantage when I get the chance.

san diego
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Is the water warm enough now?

Paradise on Earth
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Water is great! Just at the beach today.

CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba Diving trips for beginners (not certified)

Pack that 7mm.

Avg dive temp should be around 68. And below 50 feet it can get extremely cold in Cabo.