We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

I posted the same post in the Todos Santos Forum, but hoping to get more response here? Thanks!

I booked a deal on 6 nights in a one bedroom villa at Cerritos Surf Colony. It was on a whim. I realize there are good and bad reviews, but for the price I paid I'm going to enjoy myself anyways. :)

I have several questions.

We will be traveling in a group of 2-3 females. We were quoted $160 per way for a shuttle to pick up/drop off from the airport, so I got a quote from Antonio at Cactus Car for $250 for a week, taxes in and full coverage. Is this a good price? I am also waiting to hear back from a guy named Luis at Budget. Is it safe for a small group of females to drive to/from airport, and also from Cerritos beach to Todos Santos?

The one bedroom units only have kitchenettes. Do they have coffee makers/toasters? Are there plates/glasses/utensils?

The website mentions the one bedroom units sleep 4. I would assume that means a pull out bed in the livingroom, but you never know with Mexico, there could just be 2 sofas in the livingroom. Does anyone know?

I read on this forum that there if you explore the dirt roads between the beach and highway, there are little places to eat, is this true?

Weather in May? The units do not have a/c so want to make sure it cools down enough at night?

Sorry for all the questions, hope some of you informed people will be able to answer some of them!

:)

Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

Just bumping to see if anyone has info? Thanks! :)

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

This thread is the only one with a bit of info I could find..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k51932…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

We stayed at Cerritos Surf Colony in March and had wonderful time. We also got the same deal for the 6 nights in a one bedroom but when we arrived we were VERY pleasantly surprised that they did not have a one bedroom available because not all of the units very completed so they put is in the biggest villa on the property--a four bedroom, two story ocean front with a full kitchen. It was amazing! We felt like we already got a good deal by just getting the one-bedroom for six nights for under $300 so this upgrade was pretty incredible. Maybe you'll get lucky too? :) Let me try to answer some of your questions...we rented a car from Antonio at Cactus Car for 10 days. It was VERY well worth it. We had absolutely no problems and were very glad we found him through trip advisor. It is safe to drive from San Jose to Todos Santos, just be aware that there is still a lot of construction going on so it's more of a 1.5 hour drive then a 30 min drive from San Jose. Also, it is best not to drive at night. We were not aware that it was going to take us that long to get to Cerritos from San Jose and we barely made it to Cerritos before it got very dark. Be aware that there is no big sign on the highway that says "Cerritos Surf Colony" but watch for vertical orange flags (we were looking for a big sign). Another reason it is well worth it to get a car is that once you are at Cerritos Surf Colony you will pretty much be stuck there. We definitely wouldn't have mind to be "stuck" there for 6 nights but we very much enjoying driving to Todos Santos for some of our meals and stopping by restaurants along the way to Todos Santos (make sure to visit Baja Beans!). You will be paying over $300 JUST to get you from the airport to Cerritos and back--you will pay less money to rent a car for a week and you can have the flexibility of exploring the area around Todos Santos. It is a VERY easy, 10 min drive to Todos Santos from Cerritos beach. We wouldn't have done it any other way. Now about Cerritos Beach Colony, I'm not sure about the smaller units but our upgraded unit didn't have a lot of utensils in the cupboards. We had plates, glasses but no knives or other utensils. We had a coffee maker and a blender. I can't remember if there was a toaster. We didn't complain. I would check with the resort on the sleeping and the ac situation. Make sure to check out the Hacienda. It is incredible. We were also pleasantly surprised at how good their (Cerritos Surf Colony) on-site restaurant was. We ate at least one of our meals there every day. We loved our stay. We loved the location and the villas. There were definitely parts of the resort that still need to be worked out but for the price we paid to stay there--we just couldn't complain. We would definitely go back--if I could get another deal that is similar. I hope this was helpful! Enjoy your trip:)

Chandler
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

The beach and grounds are gorgeous. The food on-site is a bit overpriced and limited. Drinks are so-so. The lodging is really pretty (we stayed in a one bedroom). You have a kitchen though, so we stopped at one of the supermarkets in Cabo on our way up and stocked up. Ate in town a couple of times. Liked it.

The biggest drawback was the staff. We had arranged a fishing/snorkeling trip w/one of the "entertainment" planning guys who "works" there (and gives massages, apparently). He's a total joke.

I had to lay out $100 to book this trip and it was disastrous. I will ask my gf if she remembers his name, but he is tall, superficially charming and generally useless.

In short:

He was supposed to meet us at 6:30 am to lead us to meet the boat/captain (us = me, my gf and our two kids 16 and 12 at the time). The guy did not show and only came after a construction guy went to "wake him up". He scrambled for the snorkeling gear, lied and acted as though he'd been in the office the whole time (we knocked on and off for 30 minutes and saw him drive up w/the construction guy we talked to). Also he had huge "sleepies" in his eyes.

Then, he said he "couldn't lead us" as he did not have enough gas in his car. He told us the directions and though you drive through some crazy wild areas, we found it. Long story short, the "captain" had no idea about eh snorkeling part of the trip (the only reason I dragged our kids there at that hour). Said it wasn't feasible. Took a reduced rate (as I refused to pay the $150 remaining and gave him only part of that).

We caught no fish, had no bites, kids got seasick and he really did not seem to care (I think he was pissed b/c I did not pay him full price). Though he appeared irritated w/the Cerritos guy, we later saw him, the captain, hanging out at the office, having drink and chatting it up w/the Cerritos guy.

$200 later, we had no fish, no bites, no snorkeling and felt generally lied to and ripped off.

Aside from that, the area is gorgeous, kids loved the surf lessons and the beach, grounds and actual accoms were great.

Hope that helps! (Think I'll copy this as a review, as I've been dying to write this down for others!)

Have fun! Eat off the beach down the way and make sure to go to town.

Do NOT plan w/the Cerritos affiliated staff.

Chandler
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

Also, we did rent from Cactus and though there was a bit of a "bait and switch" when it came to the actual "type" of car we got, we were happy we ended up w/the bigger one for a slightly higher price.

Renting the car was a highlight and a good deal I believe (gave us freedom to go into Todos Santos and explore Cabo upon arrival at our leisure).

Also, it let us stock up in groceries prior to heading north, which was crucial in saving $$ over the week.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

We went the 2nd week of May this year. The weather was very pleasant, but the water was pretty chilly. We enjoyed the beach but didn't really get in to the water. During the day it was in the mid-70's. At night it cools down quite a bit. We had a 2-bedroom villa and actually needed to grab the comforter from the 2nd room because it got so cool. Bring a fleece jacket or something if you like to be out late at night or early in the morning. Keep in mind that the temps are typically about 10 degrees cooler than Cabo.

You definitely want a car...you'd be stuck at the resort without one. There was one night where they ran out of food at the on-site restaurant when we showed up at 7. Having a car also gives you options of exploring Todos Santos. We spent quite a bit of time walking around there. Ate at the gorditas stand for $5 for both of us, including soft drinks. There are also restaurants right around the hotel...be sure to stop by Napoli Pizza and Baja Beans.

If you're looking for car rental companies, we rented ours through Dominic Car Rental. The quote you get is the no-hassle price...includes all insurance. Either he or one of his staff members meets you at the airport, you pay for the car, and then off you go. At the end of the trip, you just drive to the airport and park the car in the same parking lot and leave your keys in it. Very easy.

As far as the kitchen goes in the villa, there was a toaster and a coffee maker in ours. There were some dishes and such, but honestly we didn't cook a ton when we were there. We stopped at the Walmart in Cabo on the way up and picked up food for breakfast, snacks, and drinks (be sure to get some bottled water). If you find that you need something after you've already arrived, you can go to the 7-Eleven-type places at the gas station for the little things.

7. Re: Cerritos Surf Colony Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2014