We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Cabo in May

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to Cabo in May

I am going on my first trip to Cabo May 28- June 1st with my boyfriend who will be home on leave from the military. We are really looking to relax but have a lot of fun at the same time. We have a room at the Finisterra and because of the topics on here we booked one of the Palapa Suites. We are also thinking of going on the ATV trip as well as snorkeling. Just looking for a few tips as well as if anyone has any suggestions about how much $$ to bring and in what form (cash, card, travelers checks)

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

I've used all three. Cash, credit cards, travelers checks, and pesos. It's really up to you. All of them are accepted almost anywhere. In my personal opinion , I felt safer not using my credit card anymore. I realized that my full number and expiration date was printed on my carbon copies. While I never had any problems, I don't want to wait until I do. Quite often, when using cash, you'll get pesos back in change. This makes it a little more confusing when you're trying to make sure you got the right change back. I think it's much easier just using pesos in the first place, although most others prefer using US dollars. So, again, it's all up to you. Overall, Cabo is a safe place, where you can feel comfortable carrying around cash, if that's what you prefer.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

kernbr,

We bring lots of $1s and $5s. Makes it easy and we just keep extra in the safe and take it out as we need it.

We will be right next door at Playa Grande.

You can set up ATVs and snorkling when you arrive.

What a great way to spend your boyfriends leave. Hope to see ya there. :-)

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

How much money would you say that I should bring. I have heard wide ranges from people as to how much they spent.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

kernbr,

Its hard to say because there is such a wide range of how much people spend.

We spend the majority of our $$ getting to Cabo and then like to eat cheap and just hang out, which is cheap. Others, especially if its your first visit, want to see and do alot and that is not cheap. Maybe $100.-$200 a day? We spend alot less then that but we eat from the street vendors alot and don't do many excursions. So really the best way is to decide what you can afford and then keep to your budget.

You will have fun weather you spend alot or a little. :-)

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

as stated before cabo has something for everyone cheap to expensive party to non so depends on your life style. It is definitely more expensive than at home (wi). Figure what you want to do each day, figure what it costs you back home and then double it or being young triple it just to be safe. You can always cut back

Ca
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

kernbr

check out cabosource.com, has a lot of info on things to do, you are going to be in the marlin capital of the world, you should surprise your boyfriend and book a fishing trip for the two of you, would recommend redrum sport fishing, tell them of this special time you want to have with your boufriend, there service is great. www.redrumcabo.com

fish

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

I'm with you Tooley on the vacation style: I spend my money on extended vs one week vacations, more frequent vs annual vacation, spend the bulk getting to and from, and live "cheap" in paradise.

Hanging out at beach and pool, reading a good book, long morning and sunset walks, bringing our own snorkel equipment for beach exploring at Santa Maria and Chilleno beach, window shopping, late night dancing, soaking up majestic beauty of crashing surf on secluded beaches, exploring the desert, stocking up on delicious foods for our condo kitchen, a few great meals with everyones' help and then enjoying it on the balcony overlooking the ocean with candles and wine......These are mostly free!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

Baja, I want to vacation with you!! lol

Kernbr, I'm going to Cabo for the first time in 14 days (yippee)! The posts on this website have been very helpful. After several years of condo vacationing (timeshare exchanges), I choose not to spend too much on the frivolties. One or two meals in a nice restaurant, then like Tooley and Baja indicated, vendor eating and kitchen food. I crave the ocean, and I also travel with my own snorkeling equipment and portable chair. I'm renting a car from the airport, so that will cut down on transportation expenses. I'm going to take the advice, and use cash only.

And if I have the gumption, I may decide to take one of the timeshare tours if the $$ appears right (Just remember to give a big NO!, gracious.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Cabo in May

aquablue,

You have got the spirit! You are going to fit right into the Cabo, I can tell!

Hvae a great trip and report back.

Baja, good description on the way to enjoy paradise on a budget. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Cabo San Lucas