We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia/American Airlines/Villa del Palmar Cabo San Lucas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Arkansas
2 posts
Save Topic
Expedia/American Airlines/Villa del Palmar Cabo San Lucas

Our dream vacation started out with Expedia getting our names spelled wrong which caused much trouble with AA. (This error was pointed out to expedia immediately after receiving our confirmations, nothing done!!) Then our flight got cancelled due to bad weather and we were delayed by a day reaching our destination (Villa del Palmar). Since it was a "weather thing" there was no refund of a day, no free meal, no nothing except a day lost from our precious vacation time. The taxi/shuttle drivers in Mexico were the most aggressive people I've ever seen in my life; aggressive to the point of being down right irritating. Not a good first impression of Mexico!! The villa did not honor our request from 3 months ago to give us an ocean view or even get us straight into our rooms since we were not being refunded for the night we weren't even there. No cooperation from AA, expedia or Villa del Palmar, we did try to get some satisfaction and spent hours (literally) on the phone with expedia (someone in Manilla) to see if there wasn't something they could do to help us. Nothing. We ended up calling AA to book our flight out for the day after we were to leave and Senor Barnard or whatever at Villa del Palmar said he never talked to anyone at Expedia about getting us checked in as soon as we arrived. So who fibbed or was there an outright lie told. There was a lack of communication with any special event planned as to where to meet and how you would get back to the resort after the event, even when booking the event at the resort. I wouldn't recommend any of them to anyone trying to take a special time with their family because you will be so bummed out by the time you get there you loose some of the enjoyment you have looked forward to. There were eight of us traveling together so we are not talking about a few dollars lost either but a few hundred the way we look at it. Don't look for any help when booking with expedia because your standard answer is there is nothing we can do, it's a weather thing or you will have to straighten it out with the airline and your money is already paid. I could say more but who really cares.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia/American Airlines/Villa del Palmar Cabo San Lucas

I hope that in between all the stuff that went wrong, you did enjoy being in Baja.

I can't speak to booking Expedia, as we (in our office) don't use those types of web sites for our clients. As to having the names spelled wrong, Expedia should have corrected that, but since it was after you recieved your confo., their hands may have been tied (again-we don't use them, so I am not sure how they do their confo/docs). I would suggest you get in touch w/customer relations at AA and calmly state all the problems you encountered with them. There is really nothing that can be done, but you may recieve some compensation, and it will definitely help to be able to let them know your concerns. I would also suggest you do the same with Expedia, if they have such a department. I am definitely sorry to hear you encountered so much trouble, as Baja is such a great place to go to relax.

Paradise on Earth
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia/American Airlines/Villa del Palmar Cabo San Lucas

I agree with KatD. It really is to bad you had the unfortunate experience. This is such a paradise for anyone to even have one bad day is sad.

When we had a problem with AmWest and Delta we put all our problems in writing as they requested. This is the only way the respond in a positive way. If you take the time to write a letter - they will take the time to help.

To contact someone at Villa del Palmar, the owners of the resort are, in this order: Owen Perry, Luc Maria and Fernando Ganzalez. The name of the business is The Villa Group.

I think I learned in another forum about the online booking companies like Expedia. If mistakes are made they are almost impossible to correct. Travel agents aren't a need from the past - we still need them - a lot.

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
899 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia/American Airlines/Villa del Palmar Cabo San Lucas

i couldnt agree with both of you more!

we always "price out" our trips and then head to our local travel agent and she usually matches our prices from online

sites. this year alone we saved $400.00

and the same package we booked in nov is now up in price about $900.00.

i always feel safer having someone with a face to deal directly with!!!!

sorry for all of your troubles!

Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia/American Airlines/Villa del Palmar Cabo San Lucas

Thank you all for the advice. I will certainly take it and get letters out by tomorrow. It didn't spoil the whole trip, just started it out on the wrong foot. Next time we will have a local travel agent do our booking as we have in the past.

You are right the Baja was beautiful, that's what saved the trip.