We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wisconsin
12 posts
Save Topic
Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

We're taking our first family trip to Cabo and staying at PB Sunset Beach (4 kids ages 13 to 21). Any suggestions on good places to eat at a moderate price. We also have a couple of picky eaters, so I'd like to try and throw in some American food here and there. I believe there is also a Costco there (plan on having some food in the timeshare). Has anyone shopped there - is it similar to one in the USA? How difficult is it to get to a store if you don't have a car? Speaking about a car, what about car rental. Is it worth it to rent for the week from the airport or wait and rent for a day or two from a location near PBSB when we would like to go somewhere? Any need to exchange monies or does everyone accept US dollars?

Appreciate your input.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

raider,

first of all you have selected a great property. as far as a car goes in you situation i would rent a car for a couple of days so you all can go and see some of what Los Cabos is all about. Yes the Costco is very much like what you have in Wisconson but actually their fruit and bread section not to mention beer section is far better. i will attach the famous "Trapper" list which has been ammended to many times for restaurants. remember this is almost an "invented" place so there is McDonalds, Johnny Rocket, Pizza and many other familiar food sources. i will attach a couple of good resources for activities as well. Buena Suerte........ jim

Here is the list of some of my favorite restaurants. I have eaten at all of these and enjoyed my meals. They are all between the new mall and Tesoro (formerly Costa Real Cabo Resort, formerly Plaza Los Glories) on the inner harbor .

Macombos (seafood) on VicaroSt.

Felixs-on Hidalgo st. Mexican

Pepes-across from the new mall

Zapatas-across from the new mall

Stop LightCafe-next to Squid Roe

Crazy Lobster-Hildago st.

Sleepless Lobster- $2.00 omelets $5.00 lobster omelets-behind Squid Roe

Spencers (in the Mar de Cortez hotel)-$2.50 breakfast

El Coral across from Costa Real Cabo Resort

Lapradilla-all you can eat ribs $14.99 on Hildago st. (may be closed now)

Taco Loco- next to the Jungle bar 4 tacos and a beer $6.00

Felixs (Mamma’s in the morning)on Hildago st.

Mamma’s is great for breakfast

La Quesdillas on corner by Squid Roe Now reopened

La Dolce Italian on Hildago

Mi Casa MEXICAN

La Golondrina-near Melia San lLucas hotel- outdoors and great food but expensive

Solomons walk through the lobby of Costa Real Hotel, it's right as you get outside

Tanga Tanga next to the Costa Real Hotel (now Tesoro ) 15 peso beers,15 peso tacos and 20 peso mixed drinks.

On Medano beach.

The Office

Billigans

Mango Deck

go to cabosource.com much more there

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

For me, the car is worth it for the convenience of being able to go where and when we want--however, there are two of us and we rent the smallest thing with an engine and wheels for $150.00 total for the week. With 6, you certainly aren't renting the same vehicle we rent.

One thing to consider is that the cost of getting to and from the resort can be applied to the cost of the car rental, and that will make a sizeable dent in it.

Another factor is that it's significantly cheaper per day to rent for a week than the per day charge for a few days.

Whatever you do, rent while still in the U.S.--don't wait to rent until you get down there.

Read the very long thread on "Mexican insurance and credit card" to find out all there is to know about car rentals.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

We have never rented ourselves while in Cabo, but I have heard that you must be sure to check and double check the car before you drive it out of the lot upon rental as they will get you big time on any dents that were there before you took possession of the rental.

Have a great time....!!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

Tn

you are correct. you should look the car over carefully. at Advantage as at most rental companies they have a check sheet and go over the car with you and it is incumbent upon you to point out any potential variences. i have done this dozens of times and have never had an issue. Buena Suerte........ jim

Wisconsin
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for first trip to Cabo: Eats, Cars, etc.

Thanks for the input. The restaurant info is extremely helpful - thanks Yachtmerchant! Thanks Tnslady and Pstreet1 for the info on the car rental. I'll be doing more checking. I've been reading the other forums and they've also been very helpful. We're heading there in June - can't wait.