We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
charlotte
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

is it safe to rent a car from the airport to downtown cabo and the hotels

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,312 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Very safe ! Cactus car rental and Alamo have good reps. I use Dominic www.dominicloscabos.com for his great service and dependable vehicles.

Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

A & J,

After many years of going to Cabo in my opinion it is the only way.

Like Rocky said, I like Dominic!

F4B

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Very safe. Just don't use Advantage Car rental- ever- they bait and switch, offer low rates and then don't have car available, just stay away. Use reputable name brands agenices and confirm pricing before paying. Always take copy of your confirmed price with you to Agencies in Mexico. Confirm and get in writing from your mastercard or Visa (or other credit card company)that your credit card covers car insurance in Mexico- not all credit card companies do. Despite what Expedia or other website costs indicate, expect car rental agencies in Mexico to say they require additional car insurance- aprox $10-12 per day for 3rd party liabiliity, up to $25 per day for full comprehensive insurance on top of the price you get quoted for full insurance on line!! Driving in Mexico is fine, stay in "slow lanes" where it is double laned- they do drive fast- speed limits should be "suggested" speed limits, but for tourists if you speed, expect to get pulled over!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

This is actually the first year in many that we are are not renting a car, we may be sorry. It is totally safe and driving is really easy, just watch the one way streets. Antonio Miranda is our guy, he is now at cactus car rental.

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

I've heard great things about Antonio Cactus but never rented from them. We have had really good experiences with Luis Morales at Alamo. Here's his email.

AMorales@AlamoRentACar.com.mx

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Luis rents for Alamo downtown Cabo and not the airport I believe.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

No SJ, Luis is at the airport. Jonathan Gonzalez is downtown.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

Thanks Boss man

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Euro car rental from SJD?

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental

Tanya B, there are several threads about rentals from Europcar here on the forum. Some good, some bad. Just type "Europcar" in the search box above this thread and you can read them all.