We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

Its fun to look at the Ratings of Restaurants , Bars, Hotels, Activities. The rating are Huge for business and This site can affect how many people walk thru their doors. I only wish that Trip Advisor would have a better way to rate the places.

To clump places like the small Mar De Cortez Hotel in with The Huge resorts is ridiculous. Putting Happy endings Bar/grill and Gordo Leles Taco shop in with Resort restaurants is absurd. They need more apples to apples type comparisons.

Also the more reviews you have can affect your rating.If you have only 10 ratings and they are all great you could be #1. But if you have 1000 great rating and 10 not so good you could be dropped to #10. Then there are the Bogus reviews that can really sink you. So read all the reviews of a place you are interested in. And be wary of the Bad reviewers who may have only 1 post. They could be bogus from an envious owner or friend of a competing business. We do love the honest reviewers who post any and all experiences. Just be aware of how the system works. And how important it can be to a local business.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

I went to Cabo in march and went to the top 5 restaraunts. Each owner was so protective over their 'top' ratings. A few weeks later the top five had all been reordered. I think its improtant to tell posters that the top list on any forum is 'seldom' the 10 or 5 best things to do in a location but does provide a guide to what to see and do. Some attractions that are must sees just don't solicit the reviews so they fall down but the top rated ones are sometimes new businesses with limited reviews.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

I think TA ratings will go the way of the dodo bird as soon as Facebook releases its own version, which is supposed to be soon. They're tying it to their "check-in" feature. So, while people are "checking in" someplace, they can also leave a review as soon as they're done. So, it'll be real-time data. And people will be more likely to trust the reviews of those people whom they are related to, or friends with on FB.

Edited: 11:57 am, April 30, 2013
houston
Level Contributor
104 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

A lot of us don't do FB, like me. On vacation in Cabo, I'm lucky if I check my email every 3 days. As far as TA ratings - I have been all over the US staying in hotels in towns most people have never heard of. People have sent me emails from TA for information about the hotels and the area. Unlese you actually know somebody on FB who has been there - where would you get your info?

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

It's a good reminder, that TA's "rating system" is not based on any kind of rating system! It had *nothing* to do with quality or anything factual about a hotel or restaurant. It is simply a popularity contest based on who, and how many people, happens to post, and what their own personal opinions happen to be. suze

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

"Popularity Contest" - Yep, that's it exactly. And I think it has become much worse after implementation of those silly "badges", etc. People who are into that sort of thing will write reviews just for the sake of getting another "badge".

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

dm....we don't need no stinkin' badges! ;9)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

Thank you Walter Huston!

28. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 04, 2014