We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,160 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

Its fun to look at the Ratings of Restaurants , Bars, Hotels, Activities. The rating are Huge for business and This site can affect how many people walk thru their doors. I only wish that Trip Advisor would have a better way to rate the places.

To clump places like the small Mar De Cortez Hotel in with The Huge resorts is ridiculous. Putting Happy endings Bar/grill and Gordo Leles Taco shop in with Resort restaurants is absurd. They need more apples to apples type comparisons.

Also the more reviews you have can affect your rating.If you have only 10 ratings and they are all great you could be #1. But if you have 1000 great rating and 10 not so good you could be dropped to #10. Then there are the Bogus reviews that can really sink you. So read all the reviews of a place you are interested in. And be wary of the Bad reviewers who may have only 1 post. They could be bogus from an envious owner or friend of a competing business. We do love the honest reviewers who post any and all experiences. Just be aware of how the system works. And how important it can be to a local business.

Riverside, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

I second that Rocky!!!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,251 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

Yup, it's no different than any other online "rating" system open to the public at large. That's why asking questions on the forum is far better. You'll still get a range of answers for a given place because everyone's taste is different.

The whole "badge" system and/or rewarding people for putting in reviews only encourages people who like to collect such stuff to add bogus reviews. I think it's a bad idea, but then I never go to the review section anymore -- it's just not dependable, IMO. It's the forums for me baby, yeah !! ;)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,081 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

I agree.............it definitely isn't the only way to judge...... :(

I don't even think of going to the review section any longer........though I've done a few, but I'd rather ask on the forums also DM! Get the real truth! both good news and bad.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

Great point! If you dig and sift the the posts you can usually figure out which ones are real and which ones are bogus.

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

arh yes, and the tours that no one has really written about, or done, and yet they are in the top 3?? with 95% of their comments by posters that have only a few reviews.... and they all write pretty much the same thing?... ha

Edited: 1:48 pm, January 20, 2012
Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

We booked a tour last November to Todos Santos. It was okay, but we were herded like sheep the entire trip....all in all, it was a good time.

At the end of the trip we were all given questionaires to fill out and sign! supposedly "to help the operators improve their service"..

In mighty fine print, I noticed that signing the questionaire allowed the company to create a TA account in my name, and create a review! So much for first time reviewers! Oddly(?), the tour guide seemed offended to my objections.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,251 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

WTF?! That would most definitely be against TA's policies for business owners. You should report the company to TA so that they can check into it. I'd love to know which company did that, but I understand how you probably wouldn't want to out them on a public forum. But, seriously, you should report them to TA.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
192 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

Cabohooligan: wow, how decietful. I agree that the categories need to be broadened to include bars/nightclubs so they aren't lumpes into restaurants or activities.

And, for sure be wary of negative reviews by posters with 1 review and very few posts. We always read a broad sampling of the reviews to help us make our choices. We value the opinions of our fellow TA'ers.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

I wish they would post what their system is and how they arrive at the rating.

like you said Rocky, apples to apples

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Trip Advisor Rating System. Whos #1 ect.

If they posted the system, it would be easier for thoses who want to cheat to cheat