We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Del PalMar question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Spokane
2 posts
Save Topic
Villa Del PalMar question

I have read the good, the bad, and the ugly about the Villa Del PalMar. But due to price and location, three couples have made the plunge and we are hoping to be some of the lucky ones that can offer a good review when we come home. Is there anyone here with first hand knowledge of dos and don'ts at this hotel? We are all getting ocean view jr suites for a week in June. Nearby places to eat, how to travel? If we rent a car do they have parking available? Any pitfalls to the location or rooms? We can back out of reservations until tomorrow. BTW-what is up with flights? They are jumping up FAST!

colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

Hi,

I am taking my sister for her 30th Birthday to Villa del Palmar on April 4-9th. I also am a little leary about some of the reviews i'm seeing on trip advisor. When are you going? If you do go before us, please let me know what you think!

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

We're staying at VDP starting next week - March 22-29. 4 single girls in our 30s.. A friend of mine stayed there last summer and loved it.. She told me not to even bother looking into other resorts (although I did!)

This seemed like the best of all worlds - price (we booked direct from owner - 2 bedroom unit for $1500 for the week), location, spa, etc.

We are also renting a car and as I understand it, you don't need to pay for parking there.

I'll let you know how it is! Our thoughts were that we won't be spending much time in the room, so all we need is clean!

Spokane
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

Most reviews do agree that this place is very clean. For me, that is most important. We are going 6/16-6/23. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts if you go before us and I will list a detailed review when we come home. Any other comments are greatly appreciated!

Gig Harbor, WA
Level Contributor
43 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

We stayed at the Villa del Palmar in February with a group of 14. Parking is free at VDP, and I really was happy that we rented a car. The hotel is clean and the beds are not even as bad as I'd read. What is awful is the pillows - I'd bring my own from home.

My kids LOVED the hotel, my problem was that the hotel is really large for the pool space that they have. We had to have lounge chairs staked out by 7am or we were out of luck. If you like a wild pool scene, hang out at the pool with the water slide. If not, go to the upper pool. On the other side of the outdoor restaurant is another pool that is half toddler pool, half regular. This is a nice quiet pool that looks out over the ocean. I didn't even find this pool until my stay was almost over, but it was my favorite spot.

Many people there bought the all-inclusive. This seemed to be a good option if you want to drink all day long. I really enjoyed the restaurants of Cabo, so I'm glad that I did not purchase the all-inclusive plan. Frankly the worst food we had our entire stay was at the hotel.

We were guests of owners, so we were given the 'gold card'. We were occasionally given 15% discounts, but often we were told that the card was not good for that day or that service. I would NEVER waste my time on the timeshare presentation just to get the gold card.

I would recommend the spa for a massage, look for the daily spa specials when you check in and plan accordingly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the VDP if you go in with an open mind!

So California
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

My wife and I stayed at the VDP at the end of June and we really enjoyed.I don't understand the negative responses to it.We were approached by the timeshare lady when we arrived.We gave her about 10 minutes of our time,told her we were not interested,she took us off the list and we were never bothered again.i would definately stay there again.

NYC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

Hi Jasperblue,

We have been going to VDP for the past four years..and yes, we have a timeshare. We usually go end of Aug, but this year I switched it to end of March.

If this is your first time to Cabo, your experience will start as you exit the airport and will be bombarded by men in uniforms telling you they will assist with transportation, when in fact they are timeshare sales people. Since you are staying at VDP, you can prearrange a shuttle. $30/person, round trip. They will greet you outside, just have to look for the sign w/your name on it. OR, you can pay for a taxi ride, which is a shared van and depending on how many other passengers, you may be the only ones being dropped off. Before you exit the glass doors, make a right and look fo the taxi counters and prepay.

I always feel this is important to mention, b/c it can be quite intimidating. I found this out the hard way, travelling as a single female arriving earlier than the rest of my group.

VDP has evening themed dinners..which you may or may not like and sometimes they are buffet. Price points are $25-$35. Food is ok, not great, but not bad. Entertainment is varied, one evening it's comedy or tribute to Broadway shows, there is always a Mexican themed cultural show.

The breakfast options are more pleasing to me. I like to eat at the outdoor back restaurant, where they have a great buffet spread for about $15.00. You can also order a la carte.

My usual hangout is the back pool area w/the jacuzzi. The poolside bar is right there and it's more quieter than the main pool area (this is where they play water volleyball, games, bingo, arts and crafts, etc).

Depending where you situate yourself for the day, you can have a great view of the beach/ocean, and be right next to the bar (one of my priorities for the day :-) If you're there at 4pm, drinks become 2 for 1.

It does get crowded at times and people do claim their lounges early, but you will always have a lounge chair, table and umbrella nearby. The earliest I go out is about 10:30am-ish and I have my selection.

I think a major plus is that all units have small kitchenette. I usually get my waters and snacks at the minimart and love having a fridge to put stuff in. The rooms even have blenders if you feel like making margaritas. In the event, you did decide to cook, there are a few dishes, cutlery, pans and glasses. Housekeeping will clean them for you (they are not required, but I usually tip and it gets done).

I could go on and on about VDP. If you'd like more exact specifics, email me at mgbermudez@yahoo.com.

As for places to eat, we LOVE Mi Casa. I always eat there at least 3 times during my stay in Cabo. It's one of the best places for regional Mexican cuisine. Mi Casa is located on Av. Cabo San Lucas.

If you're in San Del Cabo by any chance, my fav restaurant there is El Chilar, located on Calle Juarez at Morelos.

Not too sure what you paid for flights, but from NYC/Newark, we got our flights for $336.

Again, everyone has their opinions..but VDP does overall please. Location is great, overall appearance is great, service is great.

It just depends on what type of person you are. We're in our mid-30s, no children, have traveled around alot and stayed in very fine establishments.and yes, have NY expectations..but like I said, Cabo is a chill place and I look forward to many more visits there.

colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

Thank you very much for your great reply, I really appreciate it!

California
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

We stayed there 3 years ago. It was clean and the staff was nice. There were tons of kids and famalies (it was summer) so it was very noisy. It is a longggg walk along the beach into town, we did it once. There were many people who had cars and there was parking. We usually joined up with 2-3 other couples and split a taxi van into town. I would not consider the resort "elegant" but it was a nice place and we enjoyed our trip.

Cabo_nut

Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Del PalMar question

I stayed at VDP last March and have a few "tips" to share.

The post about transportation from the airport is correct. I pre-booked on the web with Baja Ground Services (www.bajaonly.com) and had no problems (saved $ by booking a private van due to the # in our party). Our driver even stopped at a cerveza store so I could pick up a case of Pacifico.

Be polite when declining any and all offers of "free or discounted" goods and services - really a front for TimeSharks.

On your first morning head to the beach and talk with one of the VDP timeshark folks on the beach for a very laid back conversation on all the various "goodies" you want to receive by attending the presentation. We received free or greatly discounted pricing on wave runners, water taxis, horseback riding, parasailing, ATV tours and banaboat riding. The key is to know in advance what you want (also know the "list pricing") and negotiate your best deal. Yes, you do need to attend and complete the presentation in order to get your goodies, but I found it worth the 2 hours (the next morning) to get the discounts.

The breakfast was not so great but once we finished the tour and ended up in the "closing room" (the penthouse sales / presentation room) we had several "free Pacifico's) and just kept saying no.

Bottom line? Go to the timeshark reps on the beach for a much better experience, know what you want, what is is worth and negotiate your best deal. Know you will say no at the presentation (if you are really considering buying look into the timeshare resale market, do not buy from the resort) enjoy a few beers and admire the sales techniques of the various closers you will encounter.

Have fun!