We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving and the police

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
delaware
3 posts
Save Topic
driving and the police

leaving on sunday - can't wait.

for the first time today i am reading on the forum about the possibility of being stopped and/or harassed by the police when driving. this is making me very nervous. the one post even mentioned she had to give the police $20!!!!!

do i need to worry about being stopped?

also, i have read about not driving at night, especially from cabo down the corridor. is this because of livestock or police???

so, if i'm in cabo having a blast and 3 am rolls around, i am better off cabbing back to hotel vs driving (provided i am not drunk)??

thinking about hiring car service one night for my boyfriends birthday. suggestions??

mucha garcias!!

Cabo
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving and the police

the federal highways are patroled by the federal police - this is the highway between Cabo and San Jose and from the main intersection of Cabo out to Todos Santos. the town streets are patroled by the city police. if you are driving normal, sober and within the speed limit, you have nothing to worry about.

if you are driving between Cabo and the corridor at night, you need to watch out for other drivers that may be drunk and people that regularly speed like they are on the autobaun ( no idea how to spell that)and for free range cattle.

San Ysidro, CA
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving and the police

Beachchick,

Drive responsibly and you will be fine and not have to worry about the law. If you are out at 3am - take a taxi back to your hotel. Its safer for you - and others.

Like the previous post said, at night you have to worry about other drunk drivers - and police and livestock. Also, if your not used to your exit - they all tend to look the same at night. Imagine if you've been drinking.

You can have a car service for his birthday or a taxi. Most places are pretty close walking distance to each other. As your hotel for one they use.

Don't be nervous, be smart and have fun!

California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: driving and the police

A tricky thing about driving from Cabo to San Jose (corridor) is that it is like a highway and instead of exits they have RETORNO's. The retorno's are streets running adjacent and parallel to highway so that if you want to make a left hand turn many think they just turn left. NO! You must take the retorno to the right and follow til you come to some overpass.

I spent three weeks driving in Cabo and another few weeks drving the length of the peninsula and plan to do it this year as well. That said, driving in Cabo and Baja can be dicey. Many drivers in Mexico do not even have licenses and I was told that licensing was fairly recent anyway (had something to do with illiteracy rates).

In Cabo, more often than not, others would not stop at the 4 way stops.

Just dont make assumptions..which we naturally do when driving...don't assume anything and you will be fine!

Kirkland, Wa
Level Contributor
726 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving and the police

Beach, You will be fine... Just make sure a do a few things before your 3:00am drive back to the hotel.

1. Do a dry run first, Everything looks so different at night. Go to town for lunch and pay attention to signs and gas stations. For instance our exit is right after the gas station and just past La Eupopea and next to Calinda. Trust me even though i have had that trip about a hundred times I still always look for those 3 things every time we go back home.

2. There are no lights out on the corridor and the turns are about a mile or so. So if you notice you almost miss your exit don't slam on your breaks to try and make the exit just simply stay on the road and you should be able to turn around within minutes.

3. Always drive in the slow lane. Like one of the previous posters said.... all of the sudden there is some guy going about 80 miles an hour and comes up right on your back end.

4. Drive slower than you normal would. Nobody cares in Mexico how slow you go. I have seen my share of cars that can't go faster than 30 miles an hour, so just take it easy and you will be completely fine!

Get answers to your questions about Cabo San Lucas