We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Cabo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Cabo

We are 4 Aussies girls currently staying at the beautiful Pacifica all inclusive resort in Cabo. Since we are not used to tipping for services, we are really unsure how much to tip and when to tip. We do not want to offend people and want to find out how much (if any) we should be tipping.

Should we tip:

- at restaurants at the resort even though it's all inclusive?

- bars at the resort

- pool bar if we order a meal or drinks

- house-keeping

- room service

- bell boys

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
St. Helena...
Level Contributor
996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Cabo

Look in the "Top Questions About Cabo San Lucas" - upper right-hand corner on the forum page - and you'll see a section for tipping. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Cabo

Tipping in general at an AI is supposed to be included BUT some small tips are still nice.....I usually tip a couple of dollars per person for sit down ala carte dinners but not at buffets or carry out like at the pool. I also tip the waitress at the pool for drinks a dollar per round or if I find a place I know I will be sitting at daily I will tip him/her like $10 or $15 for the week all up front and then I know I will get promt service and always have a nice strong drink headed my way as soon as they see me approaching my lounge chair and then I dont have to have drink tips with me...if I spend a lot of time at a specific bar I will do the smae thing for the bartender to ensure I get nice pours when he sees me.....We usually leave $15 or $20 for the week for the housekeeper as well. These amounts are for the two of us not each...

Note that these are well below usual tipping amounts but they are also what we tip when the resort adverts tips included.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,706 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Cabo

Note that SheriffJoe is giving you ballpark amounts for tipping in US dollars. (It's a bad habit we Americans have!) So when he says $10 to the bartender, that's $10 US or 130 pesos.

The general amount suggested for housekeeping staff is 20-30 pesos per person per day. Some folks are so tidy that the maid does very little, while some folks track in sand, have kids (at other resorts!) or just make a mess so they leave the maid a larger tip.

Hope you're having fun!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,301 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Cabo

I tip as I do here in the US...........which is between 10-20% on meals, and the like..............and for housekeeping, it should be at least $2.00USD per day per person...........I think most of us go above that. At least $1.00/bag for the bellman, and the shuttle service........again-more is appreciated.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Cabo

Ok I have to put my 2 pesos worth in here! I admit to always staying at the same all inclusive for many years and what many people that don't always stay at AI resorts understand is...yes they say that AI includes tips but the part the resorts don't say is that a very very small precentage of what you pay for an AI package goes toward tips and that small amount is split between all the staff and many times it is based on senority and staff placement including management. So knowing because we that, we always make sure to tip any staff member that takes care of us. I won't deny that some get more than others but if the service is there then in my opinion it should be rewarded. Housekeeping never less than $4-$5 per day (and we are neat & tidy people) the pool bar we hang out at usually at least $10 a day sometimes more admittedly most times more, servers at a la carte at least $5-$10 per meal and at the buffets if they bring me drinks or attend to other things such as find me a good table and are attentive to needs then at least $3-$5. These people are working for anywhere from $5 to $15 per day for anywhere from 8 - 12 hour shifts and having to deal with very demanding guests that are sometimes not very nice people so in my book they have earned any tips we give them and in all likelyhood deserve much more but in addition they also deserve to be treated with friendliness and more importantly with respect!!! Ok I'm done with my rant now:)

Edited: 9:50 pm, October 04, 2011
Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Cabo

Have to admit I just read my post...couple of mess ups sorry about but hopefully it was understandable.....it was what I call a double V day Vodka & Valium......KatD since you know what is happening around my life now you can probaly relate:(

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Cabo

Thanks so much for all of your replies!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,301 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Cabo

an2jo2...............I thought you said it well. I actually tip an an AI pretty much as I would any place! You are right-they don't get much from the "plan".....

I hope things are getting better for you my friend! xoxo

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in Cabo

tip 50 pesos each day to the cleanning girl, 50 or 70 to the people helping you and waiter 15-20 dls and 15-20 to the barman...be generous, this people gets oaid less than 5 dls per day and tips are very important, also you will have a great service

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in Cabo

This is for the previous post...Less than $5 a day? So every quincena about 1000 pesos????