We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
portland, OR
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

is this true? Going in two weeks and staying at the Sheraton. Review said that ocean wasn't swimable....

love the ocean! tell me it aint so!

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

Superkittie: Don't confuse the ocean with the bay. There are many swimmable beaches along the bayside of the peninsula (i.e., Medano Beach). What the article probably was telling you is that the beaches on the Pacific side of the peninsula (Solmar, Divorce Beach, etc) are not swimmable because of the strong undertow and riptides there. The bay side is very safe. No worries.

portland, OR
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

Thanks! The review didn't state WHY. I was worried. Could have been anything ya know! ha

My parents paid for this trip, and I kind of picked the resort. Most of the reviews are good, there were a few that had me worried. We're staying at the Sheraton. Hope it's a good spot, sinse they bought and all....if we have to travel a bit to swim somewhere other than the pool...fine with me!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

The Sheraton is beautiful resort! Most hotels in the "tourist corridor" between the two cities of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose sit on beaches that typically aren't swimmable due to strong undercurrents and rocks. However, these hotels are very luxurious and more than make up for the lack of ocean swimming with their beautiful pools. There are many places you can swim in the ocean that you won't want to miss (Medano Beach). Make a day out of it and enjoy a completely different setting. Don't worry, you can't go wrong.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

Cabobride could not have said it better. In addition to swimming there are awesome places to snorkle and see all of the wonderful, colorful life below the waves! j.p.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: read a review about the beach in Cabo being unswimable

protected coves are the only way. you want to stay away from sharp drop offs etc. you never know what is underneath. cabo is known for another thing. sand falls. only seen by scuba divers. underwater it appears just like a waterfall does on land.