We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to rent a car?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
kuwait
1 post
Save Topic
Do I need to rent a car?

This is our(my wife and I)first time in Mexico. We will be staying at the Villa del Palmar for our honeymoon. My question is will we need to rent a car and how is the driving in that area? We appreciate any responses. Thanx

Harper, Kansas
Level Contributor
490 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

My first trip is March 16, and I'm renting a car. Don't think it will be at all difficult. Lots of discussions about this topic, if you've a mind to review them. Just type car rental or rent a car in the search bar right above the first message header. The distilled version is: don't drive at night (livestock sleep in the roadway); be careful at gas stations that the pump is reset to zero; reserve from the States and check the insurance carefully; waive the collision if you want your credit card company to cover you. If you're pretty sure you don't want to leave your hotel property, which I cannot imagine, then you won't need a car. If you want to spend $20 or $30 on taxis a day, then you won't need a car. And you won't need to worry about DUI either. Check travelocity for rates (I'm using Avis--good rate, good insurance included) then you can kind of see if it will be a good deal for you and the kind of vacation you want. Congratulations and buen viaje.

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Personally, I would not recommend a car. Villa del Palmar has a shared cabo arrangement and as the previous poster mentioned, driving late at night and drinking are treacherous. Well, he didn't actually say THAT but it is.

Also, parking in downtown Cabo is at a premium. Aramburo charges for parking as do all of the other little places you used to be able to park. Puerto Paraiso Mall has free parking which is great in the day time but would not be my preference, security wise, at night.

Another option is to have VDP arrange for a car to be delivered for one day or even on two separate days if you plan to drive to Todos Santos.

The highway during the past few weeks has been absolutely terrifying. There were four deaths on the four lane that I know of since Thursday (between San Jose and Dreams in the corridor) and many many accidents. I personally witnessed four accidents... :(

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding/honeymoon.

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Sorry, that should be cab arrangement, not Cabo arrangement! I have often taken one of the larger cabs with other, unrelated, guests and the shared cost is minimal.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

wuklan,

congratulations on your wedding. i can think of no better place to join lives together than where the Pacific joins the Sea of Cortez. They call this spot Finisterra, lands end, but is it the end or really a new beginning? whos is to say!

Los Cabos is a big place and if you want to experience a little of all that is here i WOULD rent a car for a day or two. go to the artist colony of Todos Santos up the extrordinary Pacific coast. go the other way to the EastCape where time moves a little slower and the Sea of Cortez is like a string of jewels. see the beaches, meet the people eat the food, need i say drink the Tequila? anyway, driving in Los Cabos is not much more than driving in any major metro area. yes free range livestock roam the roads at night, so dont drive then, big deal. if you are traveleing from CSL to SJD in the evening this is usually not even an issue. I enjoy the autonomy a car provides and the cabs can be more expensive than previously described. Hotel transportation is fine but you travel on their schedule. Just MHO. regardless i hope you have a wonderful time in this place most of us consider paradise. Buena Suerte....... jim

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

I agree with Jim about the car issue. I drove the entire time including at night coming from Villa Serena and Lattitude 22 and I'm a woman. It's best to stay in the right lane so they can pass you if they want.We got the car with a package from Hotwire but look up Tooley's suggestions from Sat or Sun at Dollar's sites.....DollarLosCabos.com and dollarcarrental.com, she got a sweet deal. Downtown there's a nice parking lot around the corner from the Sleeping Lobster and it only costs a few pesos. Jim probably knows where I mean, by the drugstore. Hope that gives you a start...........

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

wu2klan,

IMHO parking is not that big an issue. there is almost always parking along the road by Marina Cabo Plaza and many other places for that matter and i done remember the last time i paid to park. sure you might not just glide into the perfect spot the first time around but where in most places can you do that. Go and Do! Buena Suerte.. jim