We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kamiah, Idaho
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Topic
How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

Ive always gone to Cabo in Jan/Feb and May. We are thinking about bringing our kids ( 9 and 14) down for Spring break. Apr 4-10. I was looking at Puerto Vallarta, but I heard that Easter is the BUSIEST time of the year for PV. So, how are the crowds this time of year? We are looking at renting a condo at Terrasol for the week. THanks for the help

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

I have never been to Cabo during Easter but Easter is the busiest time for crowds of locals at EVERY resort area as well as the most expensive along with Christmas as obviously these are the 2 most important religious holidays to most mexicans. Not sure about Cabo but our friends always get 4 times the rent for the week in PV for their condo during those 2 holiday weeks renting to well off mexicans coming to PV for the holiday weeks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

I try very hard to avoid all resort areas in Mexico over xmas and Easter week. If I had to go over xmas (won't EVER go at Easter again) then we would stay at a remote AI somewhere, never non AI in a town (but we hate crowds, so take that with a grain of salt).

New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

We were in Cabo this year for easter week. We didnt find it crowded at all with spring breakers. The locals were out in full force, but with all the roving bands we found it very entertaining.

I think spring break is mostly in March, not easter week. Check out this site with spring breaks for various colleges:

studentcity.com/blog/when-is-my-spring-break/

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
245 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

Melleo, If I were you, I'd stay in San Jose del Cabo, especially with the 2 children. Way calmer, than Cabo. Not as expensive either. If you want to see the gong show in Cabo, grab a cab or jump on a bus. Don't miss Todos Santos.

Kamiah, Idaho
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

So how do you think the Terrasol will be for Easter? Since it is private condos, I was hoping to avoid too many crowds. I dont know. I also heard it is busy the week before and after Easter? True?

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

We were also there over Easter week this year. Since Easter was so late this year (very end of April), we didn't have any spring breakers. But that week is very, very busy with Mexican families vacationing. Medano beach was CRAZY! Tents, umbrellas and tons of people covering the beach. It was pretty wild. Most Mexicans get 2 weeks off for Holy week and they all go to the beach!

We were at Playa Grande and didn't notice it any busier there then usual. We didn't have any problems in town either but we did have to hit the beach a few days just because we had never seen anything like it- way busier than Spring break. But since this year Easter coinsides with Spring break, it will probably be busy in town as well. I don't think you will have any problems at Terrrasol. Everyone will want to be on Medano.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
893 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

I have been to Cabo during Spring Break when Easter over lapped and Mendano beach was PACKED!!!! As stated above Easter is a BIG holiday in Mexico and people from all over Mexico come to Cabo for the weekend.

With that said the first week of April is really the last week of the "spring break" crowds, the busiest time is the last 2 weeks of March. There are still kids there the first week of April but it's really tailing off then. If you are planning on staying at your resort pool during the day and going into town to eat at night you'll be fine as long as you don't go near any of the big name clubs/bars after 8pm you'll be good... =)

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

Or going to Medano Beach during the afternoon! Too many party beach club

"activities" not suitable for youngsters.

Terrasol is very quiet. That should be fine.

southern California
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

Semana Santa falls on April 8th in 2012. I always avoid taking a Mexican vaca the week before, week of and week after Easter.

McArthur, California
Level Contributor
212 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad is spring break and Easter in Cabo?

We have been out on the East Cape for the week of Semana Santa and found it very interesting. Crowded, yes… but not with Canadians and Americans. Full of Mexicans on holiday…we loved it! Everyone camps on the beaches and porta-pottys are hauled in to help with sanitation. Not for everyone though. We have also stayed at Terrasol and found it to be very quiet. Private beach, private property and security is tight. Security even counts heads in and out of Solmar to make sure no one sneaks in anyone that shouldn’t be there. We have visited every season and spring weather is beautiful…:*) And Terrasol is one of our favorites…