We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Hey guys im from London UK and I'm due to leave to go to LA > Cabo > Vegas honeymoon in a few weeks.

A couple of friends of mine did the exact same trip last week and they were warned not to go to Cabo due to the violence within Mexico etc - so they left it out. I know its most likely scaremongering and I'm more likely to get mugged w/e in LA, but I know LA really well and feel comfortable there. I dont want to go to a place I've never been before and be worried especially on my honeymoon. Can anyone give me some unbiased opinions on the place and if Baja California is EVER affected by the violence from inner Mexico?

Thanks again,

Daniel

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Im actually staying at the Hilton Los Cabos fwiw.

New York
Level Contributor
838 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Who warned them not to go to Cabo? Cabo is safe, 1000 miles from the violence. What you should really be asking yourself is should you go to LA. Cabo is infinitely safer than LA.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,119 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

London scares me more than either L.A. or Cabo. The Los Cabos municipality is at the end of a long skinny single-highway peninsula. It's completely safe.

Your friends totally missed out on a wonderful vacation because none of them looked at a map! If there is trouble in Aberdeen, would the folks in Cornwall shutter their windows and cower in the basements?

Have a wonderful and fabulous honeymoon at the Hilton!

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Staying at the Hilton you will be in the middle between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas. You'll have a beautiful view and a cove for swimming. If you are wanting to go into town for dinners, excursions...you have to taxi which won't be cheap, depending on how often you plan to go. BUT...you will have a great time and be able to laugh at your friends that didn't take that trip to Los Cabos because of bad press (yes, scaremongering). Have a great honeymoon and let us know how your trip was when you return.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Cabo is the safest part of Mexico, located on the peninsula away from mainland of mexico.We just returned from our first trip and never once felt any concern. On the contrary, the people were so nice and welcoming. I am more anxious going to our mall in va beach at night than walking around Cabo. Just use the same common sense you would at anytime.

As others have noted-LA and Vegas would concern me much more-have a great time!

Edited: 10:21 am, July 06, 2011
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,843 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Definitely don't miss this wonderful part of your holiday! I agree-I feel safer there than in a lot of places-most places in fact!

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,838 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Los Cabos is completely safe for visiting tourists. There have been no incidents of any kind of violence there. Your friend didn't research very thoroughly if he chose to skip it. suze

Portland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Fwiw... Being a west coast resident who knows LA, Vegas, SF, Portland & Seattle very well. Let me assure you, those cities are actually safer than ANYWHERE in Mexico. Don't get me wrong, your friends missed out a wonderful vacation at the Hilton in Cabo as mentioned, it sits on a beautiful private bluff in between Cabo and San Jose. Cabo is very safe. The old square in historic San Jose is a treat but, yes, even there, you'd better make sure you're looking over your shoulders at night. Friendly people but, there are people who are waiting for you to error into a wrong alley etc.. Again, Cabo-safe & fun. But, US cities are very safe, you can speak the language, police are NOT corrupt, hospitals are infinitely safer (and well marked with signage). Don't believe the hype that LA is more dangerous as that is laughable and very stereotypical of folks who are clueless. Plus, you can drink the water & not get screwed by a cabbie. Just keeping it real folks. :)

Edited: 10:59 am, April 02, 2012
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
996 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

One year when we arrived in Cabo, and before we disembarked from our plane, the flight attendant was welcoming the passengers as we taxied to the gate. She was assuring everyone that Cabo was safe and said as a matter of fact, that if they didn't like a passenger or they thought they were terrorists they just didn't let them come to Cabo. She said they didn't care what people thought, they just didn't let them in. I don't think they have very high tollerance for people who might jepordize their tourist industry.

Cabo is safe, and aside from being offered pot one time, we've never experienced a problem or even seen anything suspicious. Just pay attention to your surroundings and don't put yourself in a situation where you could get into trouble. Go to Cabo and have a great time!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cabo San Lucas Safe?

Larry welcome to TA, I find your first ever post a bit interesting. I also live in the west coast and work in all the cities you mention. I diagree that each of those cities is safer than anywhere in Mexico, that is that is simply not the case. I would use Cabo as an example and say that it's safer than all of them. Your quote that hospitals are infinitely safer is also interesting, did you know that in the US your chances of dying from a error or hospital-acquired infection is 1 in 300, I would not call that safe. Enjoy your next trip to Cabo and keep it safe!