We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

Wife and I are lookign to get away from our aniversary in August....And we're down to either Cabo or Puerto Vallarta

If you had to choose one over the other, would you go to Cabo or PV?

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

I've been to both. While PV is charming, Cabo has an attitude all it's own. It's so welcoming. Everyone treats you like a long lost friend. There are many posts that will answer your questions regarding the differences. Do a search on PV in the Cabo forum. You'll get a variety of opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Paradise on Earth
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

In August PV will get more storms and hurricanes. We do get them but not the as much as the west coast of mainland Mexico. Its going to be hot in both places. Just be sure you have AC where you stay.

Personally...Cabo is my paradise on earth!

Abrazos!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
866 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

I love both PV and Cabo, each for different reasons. You should experience both places and see for yourself but I would definitely choose Cabo over PV in August.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

volfireman,

as has been pointed out these are two very different places. same country worlds apart. PV is expanding but is still more dense packed than Los Cabos. Los Cabos is more of an "area", from the EastCape to the north, SJD a little farther south and CSL on lands end, up the beautiful Pacific coast to Todos Santos and lest we forget the capitol of Baja Sur, LaPaz. Baja IS definitely more of an attitude, this is a desert meets mountains and sea enviornment and is almost singularly unique in Mexico or most other palces for that matter in geography, food culture and atmosphere.. I love PV it is a world class destination but Cabo is a lifestyle. heres a couple of resoureces to get a perspective of each place. Buena Suerte...... jim

http://www.cabosource.com/

http://www.vallartasource.com/

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Todos Santos
Todos Santos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
North Kansas City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

WE've been to Cabo {several times] and puerto but have discovered Nuevo Vallarta-north of PV.

Nuevo is very quiet and relaxing and Bucerias is a lovely town close by for dining Mexican street shopping a great small town experience. PV has the night life' we went to PV two nights for diner and experience. Try Flamingos Villa Del Palmar new and very nice place to stay.

Went to Nuevo Mar and Nov 05 and going to Cabo Mar 06-I'd chose nuevo or Cabo!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Villa del Palmar Beach...
5,718 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
50,102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

I truly love Puerto Vallarta, but in August would recommend Cabo instead (because of the heat, humidity, and rain in PV in the summertime).

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
AHM
California
Level Contributor
6 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

Along the same line of question/answers: have never been to Mexico. Would like to take the family (wife, 5 and 3 yo) there in late August. Options are Cabo or Puerta Vallarta. The question is which one has less humid weather and bugs etc. I dont want another Florida in summer type place. Have been told Cabo is better. Just want a place to chill, kids to play on the beach, dip in ocean and hang out by pool. The Cabo resorts or PV resorts? Any suggestions will be VERY appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo vs. Puerto Vallarta

I have been to both, but neither in August. It sounds like weather in August would be better in Cabo based on other posts.

I loved both, and will return to both. Cabo is definitely more unique, and different than other mexico destinations. PV is more tropical in my opinion, but I would say Cabo gives you a more "upscale" feeling.

My suggestion, make it a point to do both at some point, but sounds like the weather would be in your favor with Cabo.

I did PV last April, perfect weather, will certainly do it again. Heading to Cabo this April!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico