We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gym options

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Harper, Kansas
Level Contributor
491 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Gym options

I've been working really hard to get in shape for my trip to Cabo in March. Now, I'm addicted. We're staying at the Mar de Cortez, and I was wondering if there are any gyms in town open for day users. I've got the Bel Air down for massages, now need to find a place to exercise. And, while I'm here, anybody ever kayak down there? I really want to try it, hence the workouts, and would love some tips on exercises to prepare. Don't think the rowing machine is quite the thing. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gym options

Kayaking is fun, especially early morning or late afternoon when the water is a little more "quiet". There are numerous places on Medano beach where you cant rent them. Kayak accross the bay to lover's beach...it's a fun way to exercise and see the sites.

Cabo-nut

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gym options

I think there's a Gold's gym type place almost next to Mar de Cortez at the bottom of Matamoros near Los Milagros.

Also Plaza Nautica has a gym called Club Fit. Their phone number is 011 52 624 150 1844

Paradise on Earth
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gym options

Club Fit has day and week passes. It is outside so it will depend on how you like to workout.

Right across the side street from Mar de Cortez is the "golds" type gym. It is indoor and very nice. The massage place is just up the hill a little more - but across the steet. The "golds' gym is 'right' across from Mermaides.

There are also excellent gyms you can use with a day or week pass at Villa del Palmar and Pueblo Bonito Rose.

Abrazos!

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gym options

It's not like canoeing where you dig in and use alot of body force to pull you forward with upper torso motion leaning from back to front. Sitting at water level and rotating paddle from side to side with shoulders. alot easier and faster glide. Look at bottom of kayak single pronounced keel or twin grooves or on ocean kayaks blade in back to keep you on course (straight). Small cheap kayaks have tendency to move back and forth side to side while in forward direction so you must adjust accordingly. Extra bouyancy(hull filler) hand pump and possible spray skirt make life easier. Can be tippy and should take a lesson on how to get out if rolled and for more fun learn to do a roll. or there is always to beach ones for fun where you have drain holes and you do get wet.

Harper, Kansas
Level Contributor
491 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gym options

Thanks, all. Sounds like the Mar de Cortez is the place for me! Close to gym and massages to deal with the excesses of the vacation, lol. Maybe kayaking alone will be enough of a workout. I wondered about the roll thing, and assumed, if no skirt, you'd just fall out. Do I need to bring own PFDs? I'd rather buy a svelte one than wear one of those ocean liner big orange things that could float me to Fiji. I suspect the vendors on Medano beach don't do lessons, or do they?

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gym options

Skip, I drove by the gym today it's called Rudo's and apparently also has a spa. Phone # 624 105-1777.

There's a new English language phone book in Cabo :)