We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

All right guys, kind of a tricky problem:

Trying to get from Dallas to Cabo. Obviously, American Airlines is the easiest way to go with several direct flights daily.

Problem is we have American Express points that we want to use to get the tickets, but AA is not an American Express partner airline, so you can't convert AMEX points directly into AA frequent flier miles.

However, you CAN convert American Express points directly into Mexicana Frecuenta miles, and it appears from the Mexicana website that the Frecuenta miles can then be used to get American Airlines tickets from Dallas to Cabo.

Has anyone else used Mexicana Frecuenta miles to purchase American Airlines tickets? Is the process as easy as it looks, or are there other restrictions/limitations I should know about? Is this the best way turn AMEX points into American Airlines miles?

Thanks in advance!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

Dallas,

Man youve got me on this one so this is just a bump to keep it on top in the hopes someone will come to the rescue. Buena Suerte....... jim

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

Thanks YM. Glad I'm not the only one confused. Surprised by the silence, though.

Everybody - Any thoughts on this?

Yardley, PA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

Hi Dallas. Your question intrigued me so I did a little checking into my AMEX program. It appears that you did your homework correctly. The Mexicana page in my new AMEX 2006 Membership Rewards Annual Guide does, indeed state that Mexicana has "code share agreements" with American Airlines. I suspect that the best way to find out if your plan will work would be to contact the Mexicana Frecuenta desk.(800-531-7901)

As an alternative, Continental also flys to Cabo out of DFW via Houston. I know that Continental does honor AMEX miles so maybe you can work something out that way. Good luck!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

For whatever it's worth, I got two seats direct from Atlanta with Delta miles pretty easily, I want to say less than two months ahead of time.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

i have transferred amex miles into continental for tickets on alaska.

continental partners with alaska and alaska flies non stop to cabo (from sfo). i have done this 3 times and it is actually a very easy process.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frequent Flier Miles to Cabo

Sorry, I am no help at all! Strictly an AS milage person, but MX has always been easy to work with as an agent, so I think they will be helpful for you.