We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

I was wondering how much it would cost to live in cabo comfortably if your housing is convered? Is it possible to get dish network? Also, if you are not going to expensive hotel restaurants can you live on 500-1000 per month ?

Los Cabos Mexico
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

yes you can adjust your lifestyle and live on almost nothing here if you know where to go,where and how to eat, drink ect ect. I have alot of local gringos who live and work here with hardly nothing and somehow get bye..dish network and star choice no problem...

Cabo John

California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

Don't tempt me.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

Thanks Cabo John! I read so much about how expensive it is there so it's nice to know there are other ways to go if you dream about retirement in Mexico /Cabo!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

Sure, if you don't have to pay for housing, and aren't going to have a car, I think 1000/month is fine for groceries, entertainment, etc. (I think 500 would be a little too tight to be possible). -suze

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

Are you going to live there year-round, and if so, do you want/need air conditioning in the summer months? I have always heard that the cost to cool even a modestly-sized home in Mexico is a bit of a shocker. Any input on this from locals who enjoy "keeping (artificially) cool" in the summer?

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

If you are a tourist, Cabo can be expensive. If you live here full time and learn all the tricks, the best inexpensive restaurants where the locals eat, you can live here for less than in California. For example, we went to Guacamayas last night and ordered steak fajitas for about US$9.00. We shared one order and ate our fill and brought the other half home. We had them again tonight at home for supper. 4 meals for US$9 isn't bad.

Your budget of $500 to $1000 not including housing should do fine. Our electricity bill during the summer, which includes air conditioning for a 2 bedroom house is less than $100 per month. The rest of the year (9 months) it is about $30 per month.

cabo san lucas
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

if your housing is covered, then its not too much more, we use a/c every day in summer and pay around 350 (30usd) pesos for 2 month time frame and that was/is pricey for us. we live opposite city club. walmart is close by, good prices for fresh food, even if we eat out $15 bucks will feed the 2 of us easy with a couple of beers. our sky cable tv is 30usd for some good tv, full sky would cost around $80bucks a month,

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

That's interesting about the price of electricity in Cabo, and it surprises me! I know that in Puerto Vallarta the cost to run a/c is very high - it can run several hundred dollars monthly to cool a modestly-sized house or condo. I realize Cabo isn't PV though, so maybe it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I (like countless others) have long dreamed of living in Cabo, and a couple of other places in Mexico. Perhaps someday that dream will become reality.

:-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

I agree that the "Cabo is expensive" idea comes from tourists who stay in nice resorts and eat out at the high-end restaurants. Even as a 1st timer on my trip it was very well priced, but I was staying in a downtown hotel and eating at the casual places. If you're in your own apartment and shopping at the grocery store will be even more reasonable. -suze

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does it cost to live in Cabo per month?

I also think Cabo is known as an expensive destination because the price of taking a taxi from point A to point B is pretty high. Suze, you've traveled to PV, so you know the price difference there. BIG difference!