We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Santa Fe Questions...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
RIU Santa Fe Questions...

I just have a few questions for those who have stayed at this resort...

Do they have bottled or can beer in the mini fridge...and if so, what kind is it?

What kind of beer do they have on tap at the pool bars?

We did not book an oceanview room...so, what building would you suggest we try to stay in?

Has anyone emailed the resort and got a response back? If so, what email address did you use?

I have read the reviews about the food and kinda of expect it since it is mexcio. What kinds of food can I expect at the buffets??

We opted out on the hotel transfer...how much would a cab be for 4 people to the RIU?

Any other info would be great!!

Thanks,

Lindsay

Edited: 9:29 am, September 11, 2010
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,631 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

I haven't stayed there, but I can offer some information for you.

Most folks recommend Buildings 4 or 5 if you aren't staying in the Upgrade Building 7. But you might ask for a free upgrade anyway. Resort map: riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGES/…SanteFe.jpg

Here is a long review of stephkat's trip to the Riu SF. She provided lots of details: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k32703… Pay close attention to the part about the waves in front of the SantaFe, and please be careful.

Others have e-mailed the resort successfully. hotel.santafe@riu.com

I'm not sure what you expect from buffets "since it is Mexico." It's an all inclusive that serves many many people. Expect buffet food.

Do NOT use a taxi from the airport to the SantaFe; there are much better options. Here is the list: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-c129424/Cabo-… Forum favorites: shared ~ CaboSanLucasTours private ~ TransLobo or Cielito Lindo. I *think* the cheapest private is Inside Los Cabos. A taxi is about $80 from the airport to Cabo and $60 from Cabo to the airport. If you want, just book one way shuttle (shared or private) to the resort and take a taxi (they're all huge vans) back to the airport at the time that works best for you. Some shared shuttles will pick you up really really early for your return flight. If you share the taxi van with other new friends, the driver will just add some cost to the ride. Ask your concierge for specifics. I think it ends up being about $15 per person. Note ~ you can request an air conditioned taxi if that's what you want.

moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

thanks for the info...

my "since it is mexico," just means that you are not going to a five star in downtown New York...the food is just different in Mexico than in the States. Did not mean it offensive!

New Brighton...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
3. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

Hi Lindsay,

I have stayed there before and will be back in 18 days, and counting!

Bottled Dos XX's in the mini fridge.

Dos XX's at the pool bars as well. TIP: Take a plastic tumbler of some sort, with a wide mouth so they can fill with ice. The little plastic cups they give you do not last long. At least not for me!!

We stayed in building 3 our first visit and really liked the location. But any of the interior buildings will be fine I believe.

Never emailed.

You can expect the buffets to carry about just about everything. Chicken, pork, fish, eggs, bacon, juices, and of course the Mexican flare. As with all buffets, you will enjoy some, and dislike others. Make reservations for the restaurants at building 7.

Taxis cost 80 bucks from the airport to the SF, and 60 bucks back to the airport.

You will have a 6 pack in the fridge, along with water and sodas. They will only replenish the beer once a week unless you request more. Either go to building 7 and contact the concierge and ask him/her, or better yet, catch the maid service and ask them. Tip well, and you will never run out. The same goes for the liquor bottles. You will get a rum, vodka, tequila, and something else, can’t remember. (must have been good whatever it was!)

Taxis cost 10 bucks into Cabo, and 10 bucks back to the resort. We normally rent a car, but going into Cabo to drink, we usually taxi and get dropped off at the Mall and walk from there.

I normally go to the front desk and exchange a 20 for a roll of Peso coins to carry around the pool area for tips. Helps when hitting the swim up bar.

The resort is really nice and spread out, so walking from the plaza to the beach is about 3 to 5 minutes. You will have a good time as there is always plenty of action. Have fun!

moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

MLB-66

Great info!! Thanks a ton! We are going with another couple and neither of us have been to Cabo before. We are just hoping for some good weather and drinks ;-)

We went to Punta Cana last winter and brought Bubba Kegs so I am sure we will do the same for Cabo!

moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

anyone else?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,631 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

Since the Santa Fe opened in 2007, it has been one of the most active resorts on the Hotel Review page but very few of the reviewers spend much time on the forum after their visit. They get info, go to the SantaFe, write a review, and go on to plan trips to other destinations.

Have you seen the new review feature? If you look at the Riu Santa Fe review page, you can choose to read reviews with specific key words like "water taxi" or "ocean views." You can also search for your own key words like "Riu Santa Fe" "buffet" or "Riu Santa Fe" "bottled beer"

You probably already know, but in case someone else is reading this thread later, the Search bar in the upper left includes reviews, Traveler Articles, and forum threads while the Search In bar in the middle of the page above the forum threads is just a search bar for the forum.

New Brighton...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
7. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

Hi Pacific,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have always just searched the forum for info and never went to the hotel review section. Spending some time there right now checking for new info and tips.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
181 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

I'm going to Cabo in October and staying at the Riu. We emailed the resort using the address PacificNWFamily listed above. It took awhile to hear back from them though. It was at least a week, maybe 10 days before we got a response. So if you emailed nad have not heard back yet don't worry too much! Have a great trip!

Edited: 10:16 am, September 13, 2010
MINNEPOLIS
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

Bottled water and bottles of Dos Equis are in the fridge. If you put a couple dollars in the fridge and tell them how much you want then you get it.

Used a private service for 4 people and it is about the same as paying for taxi for that many people to and from the airport. Used Arturo and he was very good.

Stayed in Bldg 3 and it was a good central location. I had e-mailed ahead of time to the e-mail address that the other poster listed and it did take awhile to get a response but we did get a pool view room and a bottle of champagne delivered on our anniversary which was nice.

I thought the food at the buffets were good. The breakfast and dinners had lots to choose from. The lunches were probably my least favorite but if you are really hungry you certainly will find something to satisfy you.

moorhead, mn
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: RIU Santa Fe Questions...

Pacific-

Thanks for all the info...

Why should we not take a taxi? What is the reason behind that...