We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

I couldn´t go into the 12th month of weather updates without a nod to one of our favorite themes in Cabo. This month will be all about hot weather and cold drinks!

As usual, I will be reporting live from my state of the art Weather Center, using such specialized equipment as the "weather stick" to predict fair or foul, potted palms to determine wind speed, panting dog to detect the heat index, etc. Last month, when my deck umbrella blew away, I realized it was a great indicator for the presence of wind gusts. It´s back in place, a little worse for wear, but now a prized addition to my bevy of specialized weather center gadgets :)

Here´s the obligatory link to some good live Cabo webcams:

http://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=4

Happy August to all and.... a toast to you! Salud

cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Sunday, August 1

My rusty thermometer says 88 degrees, but it feels hotter to me. There´s a light breeze and just a few clouds in a beautiful August sky. The sun is intense today and I´m looking forward to a refreshing swim. Caboticket says the ocean temps are in the 60´s, so I´m sticking to the pool. The only cold liquid I want will be in my glass and hey, that brings us to this month´s theme......

One of my favorite drinks is Bacardi Añejo or Havana Club Añejo(pronounced ann-yay-ho). It´s oak barrel aged rum, and doesn´t have that sharp bite you get with light rum (unaged). Since it has notes of oak and a hint of mellow sweetness, I actually prefer to drink it "Campechano" style. If you order a drink "Campechano" in Mexico, you will get half coke and half club soda. Another way to order a drink in Mexico is "pintado". That´s mostly club soda and then "painted" with a splash of Coke. Salud!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Yum! That is now my favorite rum since you introduced me to many, many drinks made with it last year!

Southborough...
Level Contributor
374 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

The "Pintado" sounds awesome since I don't like sweet drinks. I will have to try one when we get there next week!!!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Another of my favoite topics... from the sleepy little drinking town wih a fishing problem.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Tyler.... something tells me you will need to stock up on the Anejo come late October...lol

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

me gusta!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
474 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Tyler,

This is going to be a great month filled with great information on a favorite in Cabo, drinking. Can we talk about the "green iguana", one of my favs at Desperado's??

Lori

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Paloma...tequila, grapefruit, lime...splash of soda...yummy and refreshing...

Tyler...recipe for Green iguana please...thanks lori...

although nothing like a "big girl" margarita with my girls...

BSFLTTT...lol...check your pm....

cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Monday, August 2

A beautiful morning in Cabo! Low 90's and a very light breeze at 11:30am. I can only see two tiny white clouds in the distance, otherwise picture perfect. We may reach 100 today, but the humidity is low, so it feels great. We are definitely past sweater weather at night (someone asked on another thread). In fact, I think we stayed in the 80's last night. No cruise ships in port, but several parasailers enjoying a ride over the sparkling bay

Ok, the Green Iguana (also known as the Midori Margarita), is simply a margarita with a shot of melon liqueur. Like any flavored margarita, it's only as good as the original margarita that you add the flavor to.

Most margaritas in the U.S. use a sweet&sour mix. In Mexico, most bartenders use simple syrup and the juice of fresh key limes.

The small Mexican limes (key limes) really make a difference, as their juice is much more concentrated. If you use large limes, you need more juice to get the flavor, which waters down your margarita.

I also prefer Cointreau or Controy (Mexico's version of Cointreau orange liqueur). In my opinion, triple sec is too sweet and has a more artificial taste.

As for tequila, a good silver or reposado is fine. I think it's a waste to use a good añejo (aged) tequila in a margarita.

Once you've mixed the perfect margarita, add a shot of melon liqueur and you've got yourself a refreshing Green Iguana :)

Massapequa, NY
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daily Weather Update - August, 2010...The Drinking Thread :)

Sold..... I take that one.

Sounds really good and now know why they taste better at Desperados.

Bob