We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm Fees

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Atm Fees

We returned a few weeks ago and were checking our account and realized that each time we took cash out ($200 USd , twice) we were charges aprox $25 USd each time.... About $4 from my Credit Union and roughly $20 from the ATM Operator.

This was at ATMs down by the Marina district.

I can't complain too much because I didn't research the fees ahead of time, but want to know if this is normal.

Maybe I can be a little more prepared next time we go.

Edited: 2:43 pm, May 24, 2010
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm Fees

Ick! I'd hate to discover this after the fact. Were these stand-alone ATMs or ones at a bank?

We have a Bank of America debit card that we use at Santander ATMs for no fee. If your credit union has inexpensive Travelers Checks, this might be a better way to go. Exchange them at your hotel, a bank, or maybe a cambio.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm Fees

It seems like all of the free standing atms at restaurants, bars, stores etc have different fees and they can be really, really high! I know the one in the Playa Grande lobby is about what you paid. Since they are all independantly owned, the fees can be all over the place but they should be stated at each machine.

The ones at the banks are much less depending on the agreement your own bank has with the banks there.

We always use travelers checks since we do not have a Bank of American account and because it is so convinient to just cash them as needed at the front desk of our resort.

michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm Fees

yes they were at the stand alone ATMs at the corners and such...

Fool me once....

I will be prepared better next time.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm Fees

A few years back I took $300 out of an atm towards te end of our trip and when i got home my fees were $19... yes is was a stand alone atm but after that I knew I'd never make that mistake again!!!!

With that said Pacific, I just switched to B of A last year so if I used a Santander ATM in Cabo no fees what so ever will get charged to my account?? If so that will be handy info for the future.. thanks... =)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm Fees

We use the Santander bank ATM near the Aramburo with our BofA debit card and we are not charged a fee. I assume that all BofA customers are treated as well! The exchange rate seems to be pretty good, tho' it isn't published anywhere when you make the cash withdrawal in pesos.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm Fees

Thanks for the info I will definately keep that in mind on my trip in July... =)

Seattle
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm Fees

We use the Santander machines outside the bank by the grocery store in downtown Cabo - no fee's. Were told not to use "stand alone" machines for just the reasons listed above - no control or posting of what the fees will be.

Another note: make sure to notify your bank/debit card operator and visa company before you travel to let them know you'll be using your cards/accessing your account in Mexico - we've had holds put on our Visa once when we did not do this and Summyrbreeze's debit card was denied this last trip even though she DID alert her bank! Good thing her good buddy Shorty was there to take out some more $ for her (I owed her anyway)! I made sure to tell my institutions that I would be using the accounts in Mexico while my husband would also be using the accounts here at home, just to make sure there was no confusion.

Southern California
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm Fees

We used the same ATM machine as you did. We took out $300 dollars US. After all the Fee's it came out to $350!!! Which included IVA tax. They charged us tax on the $300 to withdraw our own money. WTF? We had no choice. The boat was ready to leave and we needed to pay. Live and learn...

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm Fees

You need to use BANK ATM machines... not the stand-alone kiosks. It's the same as in the U.S. those have horrible fees.

I can bank for free at Santanders as a BoA customer here at home, but the worst I'd get at an out-of-network BANK machine is a $5 international transaction fee. Use machines associated with banks! -suze

10. Re: Atm Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, October 27, 2010