We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it going to be crowded because of Cancun's problem?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
mexico
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
is it going to be crowded because of Cancun's problem?

I have heard that Cabos will be crowded due to Cancun's problem....I mean this christmas holidays....what do you think?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is it going to be crowded because of Cancun's problem?

None of the recent reports indicate any over crowding.. and I called the RIU yesterday and asked about all the overbooked hotels we have heard of.. and they said that yes; they DID have a problem but not anymore... I think it was just that first two months where everyone panicked and went to cabo last minute.. Plus Playa is supposedly up and running if you just want to hang out at your hotel.. cuz the "normal" parts of it like 5th ave are trashed. I'm leaving dec 9 and I am not worried.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it going to be crowded because of Cancun's problem?

We arrived on Thanksgiving Day and were "bumped" from the resort. A rep from the resort met us at the airport and told us that we "had" to go to the Crowne Plaza for the night (our many arguments to the contrary). He said that we should feel lucky, as other folks had been rerouted to the CP for three nights. I would imagine that there is a possibility of that happening over the Christmas holidays as well. I'm not sure, frankly, what you can do to avoid it: we booked with a major package, everything was confirmed and paid for well in advance, and our travel agent had assured us that this would not happen to us.

I suspect that one key is the day of your arrival (we arrived on Tday itself): the resort emptied out dramatically the 2 days following Thanksgiving (judging by the pool lounger situation: day #1 you needed to claim a chair by 9 a.m.; by day three, 75% of the chairs were free all day long).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it going to be crowded because of Cancun's problem?

Sorry... should have said that we were bumped from the Riu Palace in Cabo!

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it going to be crowded because of Cancun's problem?

Any Holiday is going to be crowded regardless of the Cancun problem. Not only the resort guests but from the cruise ships that come in almost everyday full of people.

For snorkling or lovers beach---go early to avoid the crowds.If you expect it to be busy and just go with the flow then no worries.

Oh, the lounge chair problem mentioned IS a worry and I don't know if that will ever be figured out. It can make happy travelers turn into very unhappy humans beings.:-0