We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu (Is it really that bad)!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
To. Can
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu (Is it really that bad)!

Leaving to the Riu on Jan 15, I know it's a 5 star resort but I don't expect the standards to be the same as in America or Canada. Our peoples stardards to high or is the Riu really that bad!

Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

If your monikder defines you, then the RIU will be to your liking, although it is not a party hotel. The beer is cold (although the food is generally too) and the alcohol is plentiful.

If you read what defines a 5 star resort, then today the RIU falls well below that rating. Adjust your expectations, and enjoy Cabo!

We will be going back to Cabo, but the RIU is definetly not going to be getting our business anytime soon.

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

No P-G its not that bad at all. The property itself is 5 star, the service and food and whatever else are fine, not 5 star. Go to Palmilla if you want that. You will not be disappointed because you have the right attitude already !!! Enjoy !!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

ATR has it right... property is a 5 star, rooms themselves fall a little short and so does the food and service, but overall I'd say a 4 star for sure and a great time. None of my family had a problem with getting sick as I have at both Puerta Vallarta and Acapulco in the past. The hotel seems to improve daily. Managers are visible almost always now. Have a good time!

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

Thanks Fun, we didnt get sick either at the Riu. Ironically the night after we got home we dined at a well known overpriced national chain ( Cheesecake Factory )

and I got sick as a dog....

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

Luck of the draw ATR I think... hope you're better now. I'm off to the Riu Paradise Island this coming week and the problems seem to be a little more 'intense' from what people have reported....we'll see.!?!

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

Well THAT Riu sounds bad, are there any positive comments???? If its as bad as it sounds, ask them for a voucher to go to Riu Cabo !!!

madison, AL
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

Just returned from the RIU. We had a blast! Is it 5 star?...don't ask me. We went to have a good time and we did. In reality, its probably not completey ready...but, we had a great time. Leave your luggage in the lobby, and check out your room...if you don't like it, request another one. The only PROBLEM we had was the front desk...they are a little inexperienced. I may have to reconcile some duplicate charges. Recommend paying upon leaving....You will love it!

To. Can
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

P-Guy

new york
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

we are leaving on the 19th people are making it like they have no food?? or you cant get water is it realy that bad...

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu (Is it really that bad)!

No its not that bad...read the GOOD reviews....