We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sooo different reviews

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
sooo different reviews

I was just curious if anyone knows why there are so many mixed reviews from people staying at the same resort at the same time?? It amazes me of how different they felt about the same place. I have truly benefited from this forum.

Thanks,

clkmak

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sooo different reviews

Different people have vaying tolerances for noise, children, smells, and differing amounts of patience.

Seems to me, that if you are on vacation ~ especially in Mexico ~ you ought to be willing to relax a little. After all, that's what vacations are for!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,301 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sooo different reviews

clkmak, I have often wondered the same thing! Sometimes it seems it is dependant on the area the reviewer comes from, ie. West coasters like a resort, East coasters don't. Other times, it's very arbitrary. I tend to have to just average the reviews to get a feel for what it's like. Wish I had a better answer, but hopefully, we will get some good ideas from your post.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sooo different reviews

clkmak,

As for Baja reviews, my favorite resort has poor reviews. On my most recent visit, it was full occupancy.

During this same time, a nearby resort that has great reviews was nearly empty.

Expectations of guests are very different. My advice would be to discuss any issue with the front desk or manager and try to resolve it. Keep in mind many of these resorts have limited facilities that may not work like where we live - water, power, etc. Also, if any supplies are needed to repair a problem it may be a day or 2 before supplies can be obtained.

If the problem does not get fixed, get a cold refreshment, lounge chair and look out at the water. Baja is such a great place! Problem Fixed - Baja Style.

us
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sooo different reviews

I have seen the same with food reviews i guess the term to eash his own is true but the baja has something for everyone enjoy

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
943 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sooo different reviews

It's going to be interesting to see the reviews from the Cancun reroutes. Since Cabo is a different style to see how that affects the reviews when they start coming in. Like Kat said about East vs West coasts views, it will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sooo different reviews

We are from the east coast and LOVE the west coast - would probably move if it weren't for the cost of living.

I have been wondering about the mixed reviews too and think that there are always going to be people that are difficult to please. I also wonder whether the people who say the staff is rude whether it is a reflection of their own behavior toward others.

We are looking forward to our vacation in Cabo and hope we love it as much as we love our visits to the west coast in the US.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
7. Re: sooo different reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:31 pm, January 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sooo different reviews

I like both Cancun and Cabo. Cancun is more commercialized than Cabo. Cancun feels more like a small city whereas Cabo has more of a small town feel about it. Both have good food, restaurants, clubs. Cabo has drier air than Cancun. I can tell by my hair - in Cabo it stays quite straight but in Cancun it goes curly. You gotta love them both.

As for mixed reviews, if someone has some incident happen to them that they don't like, they tend to come down on the hotel, staff, food, whatever they can to make others think it's such a bad place and not to go there. My opinion only from what I've read. Read enough reviews and you'll see what I mean.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
California
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sooo different reviews

I think things are not static. Haven't you had the experience of disliking an album or movie, then listening again, and loving it? (And can you believe your sister-in-law voted for you-know-who! Insane!)

What I look for is a general consensus on things like aesthetics and then listen to the particulars (how close to beach, to town, what views).

I think two areas are less reliable: food and service. Service: Just one or two bad experiences because you happened to get a bad waiter or the hotel manager was filling in for the regular or the maid was ill or there was a misunderstanding or language/cultural barrier.

Food? Well, so many variables..what you ordered, what you like, different pallettes, fish good in month of May but bad in November, etc...

Dunoon, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sooo different reviews

Slightly off the thread here I know.

I read a hotel review the other day from Mazatlan, I think ,where the people involved said they did a pen test on the sheets to make sure they were changed daily! Is this normal practice in Mexico, or indeed in resorts that N Americans in general visit? Fair enough if the sheets are dirty, but you wouldn't change them daily at home, or indeed change your towels daily. Many hotels in the UK now have a policy that they will only change your towels daily if you leave them on the floor. Certainly everywhere we stay when in Mexico we will be trying to do our little bit for the environment by asking the staff not to give us fresh towels/sheets unless we ask for them.

I was just curious is all.

If everyone does their little bit.....

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America