We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heres My Riu Report

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Heres My Riu Report

Hola Forum Buddys! Just got back from Cabo last night at midnight! Very sad to have to leave. We stayed at the RIU, talk about a beautiful resort! Since Ive read so many reviews and forums for months before my vacation, I have to thank all of you for your words of wisdom and tips! We had a fabulous time in Cabo, its my husband and mine third time there, but we brought along two other couples this time and it was their first time to visit! I think they fell in love with it also. We were at the RIU from Thursday thru Tuesday. Flight there was great, got in around 2pm, went straight out to find the Olympus Bus for our transfer to the RIU. Passed all the time share dudes with a nod and a smile. Got to the hotel, which was totally booked from all the Cancun refugees. Unfortunately didnt get 3 rooms close together, but no big deal. Immediately put on suits and headed to the pool.....grounds are beautifully manicured and the pool was wonderful.....can admit that I didnt even go near the pool bar, it really looked gross,,,,I called it the "p*ss-bar" , for noone ever got out once they were in there! The beach was very nice and there were a few people in the water, close to the shore, and they looked like they were having a great time!

As for the reservation system, wasnt able to get to it in time that day of arrival, and so went the next, but that night was already booked, so made two reservations for Sunday nite and Monday nite. Mexican restaurant was disappointing,,but Japanese was FABULOUS! We loved breakfast every morning at the buffet, and same for lunch. (really wished for a taco or two tho, and never found that for lunch) Went to town on Saturday night and ate out and then hit the bars,,,,Ive been to them all, so knew what to expect , but fun to watch the other couples faces at the Gigglin Marlin show! lol too many shots of tequila and jello shots, but great time had by all.

Thank you whoever suggested the envelopes with the spanish words for the maid and fridge stocker, I did leave tips daily for them, asking them to leave the envelopes for more tips the rest of the stay, they left me candy and a smiley face on my envelope thanking me!

We tipped the waiters out by the pool bar regularly, but I dont think it got us any better service than others. they were quite scarce and usually went to bar to get our own.

A few "very loud" children were at the pool daily,,,and Im talking screaming child!!!! that really was my only bother there. he usually went to nap around 2. Husband loved the pool volleyball daily.

Shows at night were good. One or two nights were enough though. (hubby would say one)

I liked the location of the RIU, I loved the rooms, the hotel itself was beautiful,,,the food was ok, but after a few days I was tired of eating anyway. Way too much food for me, plus knowing that in the morning I was slipping into my bikini again made me think twice! lol

Had a wonderful stay and would recommend this lovely hotel to all. Cant wait to go back to Cabo next year!!!!!

Beth

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,156 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heres My Riu Report

cme,

thank you for the great report and so very glad you enjoyed your stay in Los Cabos. Buena Suerte... jim

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Kansas
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heres My Riu Report

Thanks Jim! Did you enter that big marlin contest that was going on???? I heard the biggest was 550 lbs!!! WOW There were a few guys staying at the RIU that were entered. Then on way home on the flight talked to a guy from Dallas that goes every Oct to fish, and just loves it,,,makes me want to give it a try!

Beth

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,156 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Dallas
Dallas
Texas