We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
Whale Watching

Has anyone seen whales in the area yet? I am interested in knowing if there is a boat trip we can take?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

I got back from Cabo Tues, 4 Jan. The locals said it'd be another couple of weeks. There's tons of whale watching boats that wil sell you a tour -- if they guarantee "wildlife" you'll probably see the sea lions out near lover's beach --any water taxi could take you there, though...

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

We were there in early Dec., and only saw a few this year. We were told that there had been several large pods in the week prior. A couple of times we have seen large numbers during the Dec. week we are there....just the luck of the draw. Take the binocs. so you get a better view from shore also.

Billings, MT
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

We are headed to Cabo the first part of February. I also want to see the whales. I found this site through Expedia and booked a tour on one the boats. Costs around $40 or so for each person. Some have buffets, others have snacks. Check it out :)

…hypermart.net/whale_watching.html

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

I was in Cabo during Christmas week, and we many whales every day. I would recommend going to the Finesterra's Whale Watcher bar at sunset- almost guaranteed sightings.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

Just got back Jan 8th - hard to believe that morning I was out on the water within 20 feet of a humpback whale (It swam right under our boat!) Full breaching, tail waves, etc. Kids had a ball. Cabo Expeditions two hour whale watching for US$40 is well worth it. Offshore zodiacs hold around 10-12 people each - 3 go out at a time and the first to find whales calls the others. Enjoy yourself!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

Funinthesun

Did you book your whale watching expedition through the Riu? Did you go scuba diving while you were there?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,156 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching

Yes I did book it through the Riu or should I say at the Riu. But it's not exclusive to them. There is a Scuba Caribe office on the Riu property near the beach, this is where you book it. I did not Scuba while I was there.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo...
7,156 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching

FunInTheSun

Thanks we will go for sure. We leave on the 26th can hardly wait, even with the bad reviews, I think it's what you make of it. Everybody is different.

NY
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching

I actually did see whales from the Playa Grande pool two weeks ago, so they're definitely out there.. just have to look for them!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,170 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
NY
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Watching

I actually did see whales from the Playa Grande pool two weeks ago, so they're definitely out there.. just have to look for them!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,170 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico