We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions about our trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Topic
Few questions about our trip

My family will be going to Cabo San Lucas next month and I was wondering what people thought about:

1. Cash, travelers checks or credit card? If cash, should I have it converted to pesos before leaving? Are credit cards more vulnerable than they are in the United States? Please tell me how you pay for your expenses when in Mexico.

2. Walkie Talkies. I was thinking about taking some FRS/GMRS radios. Does anyone know if they are legal in Mexico, or how I could find out?

3. Walking to Lovers Beach. Is it as easy as walking from downtown past Solmar and then up over the rocks? I love to hike and am always up for an adventure. I will have two boys ages 9 and 11.

4. Parking at Marina Fiesta and Dreams. Does anyone know if parking is availble and if so, does it cost?

Thanks for helping me out.

Rogers, MN
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions about our trip

We usually take travelers checks as well as a credit card. In our experience both have been accepted with no problem. However, we also take about $100 in $1 bills for tips, etc. Also, some of the vendors in the Marina shops do not accpet travelers checks so it is a good idea to have some cash.

Can't speak to the walkie talkies - I'm sure someone else on this forum has had the same question.

The hike to Lovers Beach is not exactly easy but it is doable. We have done it several times but it is not a piece of cake. The last time we did it there was a local gentleman that was kind enough to guide me over the rough spots (much to my husbands relief as he was concerned that I was making it ok). He then waited for us to go back and did the same thing on the return - we tipped him well as I really appreciated the help. I would do it again - it's worth it once you get over there.

Also cannot speak to the parking issue as we always stay at Solmar so no need to rent a car for any length of time. I'm sure someone else can answer this as well.

Hope this helps you out a little bit . You will have a great time in Cabo - enjoy the beauty of the Baja!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions about our trip

deway,

you have already gotten some good advice. i have never had a problem with the walkie-talkies. I couldnt comment on the parking at the resort. i would e-mail them and ask. Buena Suerte.... jim

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions about our trip

We took all 3... credit cards, traveler's checks, and cash. Never used the credit cards though. US $ is basically accepted anywehere... we never converted to pesos. Traveler's checks was taken everywhere we tried to use them... I don't see a problem in taking a mixture of them all. We just called the CC companies just in case we used them to let them know we were out of the country.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions about our trip

We find traveler's checks to be more trouble than they are worth. Since we go every year, I just hold on to my left over money, and we use ATMs and credit cards down there. If you have cash in small denominations I wouldn't bother exchanging money before you leave.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we always do (7 weeks and counting til we leave!)

met
Dallas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions about our trip

If you are taking cabs, you will need cash.

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions about our trip

deway-

We love hiking too and we hike over to Lovers beach alot. Just make sure the tide is out and you wear good tennys or tevas.

Hike to the top of the mountain for a gorgeous 360 degree view. We have hiked with a local teen to the top and He did just fine. It will take you maybe 20-30 min. to the top. Its worth it!!!

Take lots of Cash---lots of small bills. I bring sooo many $1s, it seems like alot, but alas, it never is!!

We have stayed at the Marina Fiesta and did not have to pay to park. I don't know about Dreams.

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions about our trip

Thanks everyone for your advice, I appreciate it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Few questions about our trip

dewayneg

We took both cash and pesos . When you make a purchase at the flee markets in town or the vendors on the beach you actuallty get a better deal with pesos . I made deals with 200 pesos instead of $20.00 Us for the same items so I made out a little better . If your planning more Mexican trips in the future it doesn't hurt to have few pesos left over for the next year .

We also used a credit card once in the jewelery store of our resort and got the same price as cash and we weren't charged any strange transaction fees .

St. Louis, MO
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Few questions about our trip

Be careful where you use credit cards. We are planning our third trip to Cabo this winter. Our 1st trip in 2002, we had the magnetic strip from our debit/credit card copied at some point. The thief went all out w/ the purchases! Our suspicions are it was a small "hole-in-the-wall" type place where it was copied. Don't mean to scare you, but from that point on we only use them @ the hotel & large establishments & keep track of who has it & where it goes (keep your eye on who has it). I was told that you will get the best exchange rate dollar/peso at the ATM. You can also take travelers checks & cash them as you need to @ the American Express office near the marina, but get there early in the day, as they do sometimes run out of money.

I have stayed at Marina Fiesta all 3 times, but I am not sure about the parking. If you plan on centering your activities around Cabo, a car is not really necessary from that hotel.