We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington, DC
1 post
Save Topic
Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

First, I apologize if this question is similar to one posted down the board, but I wanted to ask my own specific questions.

I'm getting married in March, so my fiance (wife?!) and I will be honeymooning from the 21-28th. We're trying to decide between an all-inclusive near Playa del Carmen (eg, Secrets Excellence) and a non-AI resort in Cabos (eg, Marquis). Some info, for what it's worth...

- We're late 20's, like to party, but for our honeymoon we'll be looking to relax for the most part. We might look to go out 2 or 3 nights tops. Definitely don't want to be in the spring break mix, would could be a problem in Cabos, late March (?).

- We enjoy warm weather - the hotter the better. Looks like both places are very similar, except Cabos gets colder at night.

- We enjoy the beach, but it looks like Cabos is hit-or-miss with the whole safety thing. If we find the right place, though, we'd be willing to forego the ideal swimming beach.

- We'd like to do a little sight-seeing and some activities/touristy-stuff.

- The Marquis looks like the perfect hotel for us, but since it's not AI, we're not sure how much we'd spend compared to the AI places in Playa del Carmen. This is a big one... how much could we expect to spend for a week? We like to eat and drink well! :)

Ok, I think that about covers it... thanks very much for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos...
2,236 Reviews
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Milwaukee,WI
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

There's an AI in Cancun/ Mayan Riviera called Aventura Spa Palace which is an adults only hotel!! Very nice no screaming kids running and throwing sand in your face! It's got an awsome spa facility and if you stay a certain number of days your wedding package is included! This resort is about 70-75% honeymooners, and the rest are mostly couples. We're going in late January and can't wait!! The only thing though, is that this rsort has a man made lagoon, and no actual beach front. Thought I'd throw that in there since it'll influence your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

Congrats on youre future wedding (March 1st I'll be married for 2 years, We went to Thailand on our honeymoon)

I'm still up in the air on wether to go to Cabo, I'm still doing research. I see it could be quite expensive going out. I don't mind spending money on good food but doing it for 6 nights or so can be very expensive. I also here the wine prices are over the top.

I've been to the Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen, My husband and I LOVED it. It's top of the line everything! At night the Hideaway is very layed back but hey the town of Playa del Carmen is a short ride away and there's pleny of action there. Lots of things to do during the day as well, and the beach (water) is beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5,026 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

cancun is nothing but springbreakers in march, packed to the rafters with them. cabo has them as well but not anywhere close to cancun numbers. skip the marquis, no swimming beach there and far away from town.

riu palace should be looked at, great swimming beach and AI and close in to town. it might sound nice hanging out at the hotel but usually people want to head into town at least one night so being close in saves a lot of travel hassles. villas del palmar also has an AI option and is close in and has nice beach.

Cancun is awesome and like going to Miami. Cabo is more rustic, pricier but more exclusive. It is expensive but the big expenses can be avoided if you stay out of the tourist traps. Mocambos for fish, Brazil for Beef, art 'n' sushi, El Meson de Zapata (great tacos). These restaurants are great and very inexpensive.

Bodyshot Nightclub, $25 all night open bar. This is a fun and safer place to party at and the savings are huge.

Personally I like Cabo better than Cancun; it has less of a tourist feel. If you want to get away from it all it's a 10 minute drive to secluded beaches. If you want to party just head into town.

Congratulations!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
El Meson
El Meson
278 Reviews
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

AC,

I second Psychopsis_69's idea. My wife and I did Aventura back in 2001. They were still building the spa back then. My understanding is the place has only gotten better. We had an absolute blast. Like was said, a large majority of the people are honeymooners and I noticed a large chunk were American. As for night life, there definitely is not anything going on in Playa, but Cancun is about 45min-1hr away....Back when we went, they offered a $25 all-you-can-drink trip to Senor Frogs....plus, you will definitely have people to party with at the resort. I am headed to Cabo for the first time on Saturday, so I don't have much info there. I just know out of all the resorts we have been to, Aventura was our favorite. Good luck with all. Feel free to email me with any questions - lizardking0771@sbcglobal.net

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

I looked at going to both these places for spring break a few months ago. Airlines and hotels are very expensive at this time. I ended up booking 7 nights in Zihuatanejo. Nice bay with 3 calm beaches and all kinds of beach front restaurants, been there on a cruise twice, much nicer beach than Cabo. Nice quiet Mexican town that you can party a little at. If you want to have a little more excitement take a cab to Ixtapa, just a few miles and go to Senior Frogs. Go to www.zihuatanejo.net for more info.

Cancun has the best beaches but I agree with previous posts that it will be a big mess during spring break. The ocean in Cabo will be a little on the cold side in March.

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belmont, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another first-timer here - deciding on honeymoon

Congrats AC - I put a bit on Cancun/Cabo in the question "first timer with questions"... Maybe that will help you out. I'm in my early thirties now and was in Cancun in my late twenties. Both places were visited in January, but I'm assuming as it hits "spring break" times, it would balance out according to the months.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico