We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you drink beverages with ice?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can you drink beverages with ice?

I am traveling to the Riu hotel the first week in September. I have never been to Mexico before but have always been told not to drink the water. Does this go for the ice as well? I drink beer but I also like mixed drinks and didn't know if I should steer clear from them while in Cabo. I mean......what about the MARGARITAS? Can I have a margarita on the rocks?

Any advise is appreciated!

Texas
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

In the five years I've been going to Cabo, I've never had a problem with the ice. I drink orange juice over ice every morning, bottled water over ice, and sodas with ice. I also indulge quite heavily in the margaritas on the rocks. You shouldn't have any problems. The water is purified in almost all hotels and most restaurants. I believe the problems come from some of the pipes being old or corroded maybe. We always drink bottled water. The only time I had any stomach distress was after I returned home. The only thing I could link it to was maybe the creamer I'd had in my coffee that morning. I believe I heard that the milk/cream in Mexico is different from the states (maybe it's not pasteurized???) You never know how long it's been sitting outside on a table and if they reuse it the next day, it could contain some bad bacteria. Other than that, we've never had a problem with the ice or the food. Just take some Immodium down with you in case of any mild problems. I think most of the problems people have are over-indulging in the sun and the booze and richer foods than normal.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

jersey,

i agree with Cabocrazy. actuall the water on the Baja is quite pure and mostly comes from artesian wells, it is the plumbing system that is suspect but as Cabocrazy said most resorts have that covered.as for me ive found a good shot of tequila will defeat most bacteria! Buena Suerte. jim

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,374 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

I also agree. In fact, at the resorts where we stay, I drink the tap water-over ice, use it for iced tea, etc. No problems!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

Ditto to all above, no problems with ice in the drinks. I did drink bottled water. Habit, that's what I do here in the States.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

Sorry about the double posting, also made coffee with the water in the room. Until I discovered how quickly room service delivered the real thing versus Mr. Coffee.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

ALL....thanks for the feedback....wish I was there now sipping a margarita!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

jerseybelle,

soon darling soon. Sept. is only a few sleeps away! Buena Suerte....... jim

Mid Missouri
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

belle,

You don't hear about as many people getting sick in Mexico as you used to. That is mostly do to what has been mentioned before (purified water in resorts and restaurants). Most of the time now, if someone gets sick and they believe it's the water, if you ask them they will say "we ALWAYS ate at the resort or such and such restaurant", but inevitably they will have eaten at some little shack on some day trip somewhere because they wanted to try a little bit of the "local flavor". So because of this little mom & pop place which did nothing wrong (they can't afford purifiers or need them for most of their clientele) ALL water in Mexico gets a bad name.

The second reason that is almost always overlooked is food preparation. Fish in particular. Now I have never been to Los Cabo (which I'm fixing in September, if it ever gets here), but I've been to MANY other places in Mexico, and it is standard practice for the fishing fleet that sells to the locals to come in and lay their catch out on the bank/sand/dock/street/dirt/keep going, for everyone to see. So people/restaurants can buy what they want. And in some cases it will stay there for hours, in the Mexico sun. And I would like to think that what is not bought is thrown away and not brought out the next day. Now I understand that the good restaurants are not going to bye bad fish, but remember that little mom & pop place, that is squeaking by and trying to stay afloat? They might. Our stomachs are not used to that. Eat a little bit of that fish and we will be sick as dogs, and the first thing we think is……the water got us.

Now I'm not saying this is the practice in Los Cabos, like I've said, I've never been there. But I have been to places diving in Mexico were the lady made tortillas on a flat rock on the ground while there were little ones where running around with no clothes on, peeing where ever they liked. It was like National Geographic. But the best fish Quesadillas I've ever had.

I guess just use your judgment. But it's not near the worry it used to be.

Go & Do

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

better with than without on a hot day-In baja portion of country alot less fears. More problems around Mexico City or other tropical sites-baja being more desert.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you drink beverages with ice?

you will get more from the air in your plane than from ice or water at hotel.